Kahles K418 and K624

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by puppezed, Oct 15, 2009.

1. puppezed

puppezed Member

Has anyone got any experiences on the fairly new Kahles K418 and K624 models?
    It looks they feature a very Leupold TMR like reticle (Kahles MIL 1). 0.5 mil mark spread, reticle intersection is open. Unlike TMR, MIL 1 is mil accurate at 10x magnification. TT models feature tactical turrets with 1/8 MOA clicks.

I´ve been considering Leupold Mark4 6.5-20x or 8.5-25x with TMR reticle but here in Finland K 418 costs about the same as Mark 4 4.5-14x without illumination. I´d presume Kahles has better glass than Leupold.

Gunmart review:
    http://gunmart.net/accessories_review/kahles_k_418/

MIL 1 reticle subtensions can be found here:
    http://www.kahles.at/dateien/text/Kataloge/COMPETITION_2009_E.pdf

2. wheelgunner

wheelgunner Active Member

Hello,
    Here in Italy the Kahels K624 it's about 1.500 euro .... not very cheap ... but we are talking about a very very good scope .... with the same money (in my country) i can choose Swaro, S&B, Kahles .... but i don't see great difference.
    All are top-optics for Hunting !

3. scotsgun

scotsgun Well-Known Member

The optical quality of the kahles models is significantly better than that of Leupold Mark4's.

I really can't ubderstand why Leupold scopes are so expensive in Europe. They're nice scopes but just not kahles, Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender class.

A friend has a K418 mounted on his Blazer Tactical which he uses for tactical type shooting competitions and also occassional der stalking. It's a very, very good scope with excelent optics and light transmission.

4. puppezed

puppezed Member

I intend to use the reticle for taking holdover. The thing is that mid-European manufacturers haven´t previously offered good mil-based range compensation reticles besides Schmidt und Bender PM2 P4-reticle. IMO good range compensation reticle has hash marks instead of dots and space between hash marks less than 1 mil. Leupold has TMR, Nightforce has MLR, IOR has MP8. All great reticles, but the Ior, Nightforce and S&B all weigh a ton... and the latter two are probably built like tanks. :) Leupold and Kahles are much lighter.

In Europe Kahles K418 tends to be much cheaper than say Swarovski PV, Z5 or Z6 with correspoding magnification ranges. I read the review again and it seems that the only short comings of K418 are its lack of adjustments and illuminated reticle (and in my opinion MOA clicks :) ).

5. puppezed

puppezed Member

MIL 1 reticle looks a bit weird in the Kahles pdf. If someone can find a real life photograph of the reticle, could you post it here please.

6. scotsgun

scotsgun Well-Known Member

You guys are aware that Kahles are actually Swaro - in fact many of the scopes come from the same production plant? What is certain is that the lenses (and many other components) are the same

Also, i hear that the K series (not sure which one) has been chosen to mate with Saudi Arabia's new Steyr sniper rifles - intended to replace their old Steyr SSG69 with Kahles Z series fixed power scopes (6x42 i think).

Their new rifles are the SSG-04 in 300wm

They are also adding to their arsenal of Steyr Mannlicher H.S Cal .50 BMG but unfortunately i don't know which scope they use for this.