K&K Outdoors Tripod

piutemike

I was wondering if anybody uses one of these tripods for packing and what your opinion of it was. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm looking for a really good, packable, light weight tripod.

Thanks Mike

I had one for my spotting scope/video camera with backpacking/hunting. Had it for about two days, then I took it back. (I'm assuming you're talking about the one with the pistol-grip head) It seemed sturdy in the store, but in the woods the slightest touch and 60x was rendered useless. Even at 20x you really couldn't have a hand on the scope or tripod. Also, the head was not solid enough to hold the scope in position.....for instance, if you put the tripod+scope over your shoulder the scope would pull the head down (if that makes sense, also I'm not using a giant scope...its a Nikon fieldscope with the 60mm obj.). I took mine back and got the Manfrotto pistol grip and Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod. This setup is a little more expensive but is hands down better. It is slightly heavier but is well worth the little additional weight. VERY solid, and the pistol grip doesn't budge....unless you want it to.

Thanks Timberbeast, I'm using the same spotting scope as you . What model Manfrotto did you get? I was also looking at some of the Outdoorsman lightweight stuff. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks, Mike

The K&K is not a terrible tripod, but the head is definitely worthless. I prefer the Jim White head and I use an older velbon chaser efl-4 (hard to find but cheap when you do). It is a great setup that fits easily in my pack and holds my diascope 85 even with it being a little windy.

The K&K is not a terrible tripod, but the head is definitely worthless.
I agree. The tripod had potential, but I bought mine as a set (do they sell the tripod and head individually?).

I have the Manfrotto Ball-grip head (model #3265):Bogen / Manfrotto | 3265 Grip Action Ballhead | 3265 | B&H Photo and the carbon fiber tripod (model #190MF4): Bogen / Manfrotto | 190MF4 Magfiber Carbon Fiber | 190MF4 | B&H

You can also get them as a set:Bogen / Manfrotto | 190MF4 Magfiber Carbon Fiber Tripod with

Not saying this is the absolute best out there, but it has worked very well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.