Just what is the definition of long range shooting....

Bravo 4
Ill be @ Camp Shelby for the first two weeks of December schoolin some boys going OCONUS also. Maybee we can hook up? I know how hecktick it is during MOB so if not that is fine.
To me long range is anything over 600 yards on a deer size target. I believe this stems from my competative shooting background were Mid Range is 500 & 600yards. Long Range is considered 800,900& 1000 yards. Now a Coyote at 600 yards is getting out there & takes some forthought on what you are going to do to make that hit ( not that a deer does not). Like has been said in a previous post, practicing at longer ranges makes the closer ones seem real easy. Take a steel plate out to past what you think you are comfortable with & start banging away. Then move it out a little farther. Next thing you know 308 Nate & 300win are shooting over a mile at a steel target! This year I had a 135 Yard shot at a nice Muley, but I am ready to shoot out to 800 or so. ( if the weather is not to bad) shooting @ a Mile or 1200 yards or what ever the range is makes you that more comfortable with a shorter shot.
Love all the great posts, wish all the tree born folks could get out here and try some longer polks.

RT

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.