Just read my latest NRA "American Hunter"

dimecovers3

Just read my latest NRA \"American Hunter\"

Ian,
Really enjoyed the article. That's a once in a lifetime hunt----you will have a hard time topping that. As for me, I think I might have messed my britches! Way to go and high fives.

Re: Just read my latest NRA \"American Hunter\"

Thanks for the kind words, I am pleased with the way that article turned out. We were blessed - got two dandy bears, great guys, incredible country and nobody got hurt.

I'm imagining a scene similar to a mother comforting a crying boy that is embarrased that he is crying but everyone understands why he is doing it. But the scene is actually the hunt guides patting me on the back as we walk over to the mountain of dead bear on the sand bar. I say, "I'm so sorry, I coudn't help myself. I just don't know what came over me." And the guide responds, "Joe, don't worry, it's all over now. It's OK to poop your pants." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian

Super bears!! I'd be happy for life!

Have a few questions, if you don't mind. Please don't take them wrong as I'm just wanting a bit of info to further the story.

Wondering why bears are charging at this time of the year. I'd always heard charges were fairly rare and in the spring its not breeding time right? Or did ya'll just "win the lottery" twice?

Also what was the guide so hyped for if the bears that you shot the boar from were still 160 yards out when you killed it? I can understand if he wanted you to kill it because it was as huge as it was and was about to get away, but it almost sounded like kill it before it gets us.

As I said, not a slam and just curious. I know, having submitted articles before(but not on such a large mag like AR) that you are limited to character space so I was wondering if you'd tell us all more?

Finally-- 416 Rigby. I'd wanted a larger round for my Encore. But along the lines of 338 RUM or some such creature. Who did the 416? TC custom or other? How accurate is it, cost, has it damaged the frame any etc..... Recoil?

Thanks tons, Jeff

Wondering why bears are charging at this time of the year. I'd always heard charges were fairly rare and in the spring its not breeding time right? Or did ya'll just "win the lottery" twice?

Wayne told me that he had been charged twice in all the years that he guided for brown bears, then twice in three days on our hunt. WHY? is a great question - the "rut" was peaked when we were hunting, that might have been part of the reason for the aggresive behavior, maybe territoriality, maybe as Wayne said " Because they are Brown Bears..." Wish I could provide better info but can't. Perhaps some of the Alaskan fellows might have some insight.

"Also what was the guide so hyped for if the bears that you shot the boar from were still 160 yards out when you killed it? I can understand if he wanted you to kill it because it was as huge as it was and was about to get away, but it almost sounded like kill it before it gets us."

When I looked around that tent I saw two huge brown bears running as fast as they could straight at our camp. No trotting, stopping to look, walking - they were coming like freight trains. We were seconds from having them in our camp, simple as that. They started running at our camp from about 400 yards out, dug right in as they got closer. What they intended to do we do not know, there are some interesting "What-Ifs", such as what if we were in the tents at the time, what if the guide did not hear them breathing, what if my shot went into the guts or just "Pee'd" him off, what if we were not even in camp at the time, there are lots of interesting thoughts.

Bottom line at the speed they were approaching our camp (and us) they were only a few seconds from being either at camp or on us - who knows. The .416 Rigby is a custom shop rifle, can be ordered and it shoots very well. The frame handles the cartridge with no problem. I had to get the scope mounting problem fixed, but the Badger Ord. rings held perfectly.

I was blessed with a dream-hunt - now a lot of hunters can share it with me.
ian

Ian

Thanks for the extra info. I hope you don't think I was rude. I just thought it wild to happen twice. And was wondering what might have caused it. Time for you to buy lotto tickets too!!

Sorry on the questioning of distances. That 150ish yards just sounds way out there. I was just curious as to if it was shoot to defend and turned out to be a big bear or shoot for both reasons.

Internet is such a tough thing since its only words-- hope you understand.

Jeff

I haven't read the article, but would like to. Would it be possible to paste it here later?

If someone hasn't seen grizzlies in the bush, it's hard for them to understand how quickly and the amount of force a bear that big can apply. Years ago I saw a big blond sow with three two year old cubs decide to take the elk meat the outfitter had on his meat pole. Fortunately he had dogs who gave us a warning, as the big sow with her cubs the largest of which looked to be over 200 lbs and the next biggest one only a little smaller went for the elk meat. About 10' from the pole the sow stopped to look at us. One of the hunters shot her through the heart lung area at 50 yards with a 250 gr 338 bullet. She immediately turned and ran 250' up a 45 degree hill with her cubs and died about 2 minutes later. There were four of us with a 45/70, 12 gauge shotgun with slugs, a 30-06, and the 338. I wondered what would have happened if she AND the cubs decided to charge.

What I've decided is that if I ever hunt grizzly it will be with a minium 40 caliber heavy rifle. Actually my choice is a 450 Rigby with a 22" barrel weighing around 12 lbs.

Back to your situation with large coastal grizzlies charging from 160 yards. To me it seems if one was at the alert ready positon with a full magazine and a round chambered there would be time for two or at most three aimed shots before the bears are on you. The bears would likely close that distance in less than 10 seconds. No time for debate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

No time for repeat shots since I was using a T/C Encore single shot, without auto-ejectors. Just wanted to give the poor critters a chance...
I will check into posting the article here, once the next issue comes out it should be OK.

I just got my magazine and was impressed. The only thing I have to say is NO THANKS, you can have it. Also you definitely have a bigger pair below the belt buckle than I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Congratulations Ian

Very nice, Ian!

At 50-60 FPS they close a gap very quickly, especially when you know you've got one good shot you need to make!

I don't know what to think of you guys and your single shots going BB hunting but, NUTS comes to mind!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Long range hunting.... to.... short range hunting.... with.... a single shot to top it off!!

Yep, NUTS is the word! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brent,
No bolt handles to break off, no magazines to jam, no floor-plates to pop open, no ejectors to stick - heck, T/C Encores might just be the ideal hunting rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That is an excellent point!! As I do more traveling around to hunt those weapon issues worry me every time. Guess its a good reason to start looking for a TC.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.