Just ordered my 338 EDGE

Aussie LRH

Hey all,
I am new to this forum, but I have been tinkering with the idea about building a LRH rifle for a while now, and then the 338 EDGE reared it's head up and I liked it haha, so any way....

I have ordered a PSECO rifle made by John Giles, Heavy fluted 30" lija barrel, Stiller Predator Tactical action, McMillan A-4 Stock with thumbwheel cheekpiece, vias brake I know this will kick **** up all over the joint but a simple pack laid underneath with stop this.

So yeah pretty excited and can't wait to get hold of this puppy.

Someday soon I'll be in the Aussie EDGE club too gun)

Hey all,

I have ordered a PSECO rifle made by John Giles, Heavy fluted 30" lija barrel, Stiller Predator Tactical action, McMillan A-4 Stock with thumbwheel cheekpiece, vias brake I know this will kick **** up all over the joint but a simple pack laid underneath with stop this.

So yeah pretty excited and can't wait to get hold of this puppy.

Someday soon I'll be in the Aussie EDGE club too gun)

Hi Aussie LRH,

You mention an impressive selection of top quality hardware but no mention on make of trigger????.
I ordered my custom built long range rifle some time back and know that feeling very well...."I can't wait to get hold of my puppy" also.
I am sure the wait will be worth it.
Welcome to the club.

So I did RR, the trigger will be a Jewell HVR with top safety.

Might be getting a 338 Lapua very soon too all the same gear but A-5 stock and 26" Lija barrel, no doubt you will all know when it happens gun)

Aussie LRH,
You will love the Edge, great calibre. Good component list too.
Not a great choice of brake though for this calibre. 90 to 100 grains of powder being burnt requires an effective brake. You can do much better.

A few of the sponsors on this site make very good brakes.

Why did you pick a Vias brake.

Aussie LRH,
You will love the Edge, great calibre. Good component list too.
Not a great choice of brake though for this calibre. 90 to 100 grains of powder being burnt requires an effective brake. You can do much better.

A few of the sponsors on this site make very good brakes.

Why did you pick a Vias brake.

I will only need it during range sessions, I have emailed the guys at centre shot rifles about getting a Muscle brake for it so in the mean time it will be a vais until I hear back from them.

When I spoke to John nine months ago he had never heard of a .338 edge.

He was prepared to build it but he he did not have a reamer and wouldnt buy one for me as he said he wouldn't use it. So I had that extra expense.

Things must have changed......!

Mine is 2 weeks away from completion... Lawton match barrel is already reamed!

The Vias braked put me off also. You will need a V port , de type brake.. John wouldnt fit another type hence I didnt go ahead.

You seen the other brakes are lot harder to fit and need to be indexed precisley..

Its not just a matter of building a .308 on a Remy action..

Last edited:
Congrats Mate,you wont have a problem with the vias brake, they work well! What's a bit of dust kick'n up anyway, all part of the fun.John will build you a great gun.

When I spoke to John nine months ago he had never heard of a .338 edge.

He was prepared to build it but he he did not have a reamer and wouldnt buy one for me as he said he wouldn't use it. So I had that extra expense.

Things must have changed......!

Mine is 2 weeks away from completion... Lawton match barrel is already reamed!

The Vias braked put me off also. You will need a V port , de type brake.. John wouldnt fit another type hence I didnt go ahead.

You seen the other brakes are lot harder to fit and need to be indexed precisley..

Its not just a matter of building a .308 on a Remy action..

I am buying a reamer for it which will stay in Giles shop for a while to see how much work it get's otherwise I will grab it back off him, I am hearing you with the brakes I am emailing company's flat out trying to get one with no reply, hopefully one will reply and I can get it down pronto,

as for the 308 on a =Remy I know it's a 338 EDGE on a Stiller :D gun)

Email Shawn Carlock with your card details and address etc, and he will get one delivered to your door step in about a week or so.

Get the 1 inch 3 or 4 port.

Re brakes.

The holland is good and the size of the brake needs to be matched to the profile you chose to a point Not to big or small . The trick is to make a shoulder for it to fit snug and square. Hole diametre also needs to be very specific to the calibre for good accuracy and the smith may need to that on the lathe as well.

The Vias is easier to fit as it doesnt need to be as precise with the vent holes and they are bored to diamtre. They put up a bit of dust and thats the last thing you want over your rifle and optics!

These ported style brakes shouldn't really be removed all the time as they are indexed and timed perfectly.

Shawns work well and so do the Hollands.... If you order direct from Shawn don't forget to get your dies from him .. All the hard work has been done for you with these dies.

The Stiller would be very nice....

Shawn will have it all to you within 10 days...
John may not want to fit the other brakes as they require a bit more work.

Be good to compare accuracy amongst us Aussie hunters and who's build worked out the best. Just add dollars !

Whats John's build time like at the moment..?

John's build time ATM is fairly quickly the only set back is getting the action from Stiller, I could have my rifle fairly soon if Stiller can get my action into the batch John already has ordered I would be expecting Jan-Feb Next year realistically.

It would be good to test these aussie EDGES one day all together make a day of it, I'm sure a few would jump at the opportunity, we could have a LRHOM range day at little river or something haha.

Or when the Buchan range opens up lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.