Just getting started

barkley

I am just getting started into reloading and have bought a RCBS rockchucker press . Now i have to get everthing else i need to reload. Other than brass and bullets just reloading equipment what should i buy and what brand do i need such as dies,scales,primming tools and anything else and where is a good place to buy it all. I would rather just buy everything at one place and at one time to just get it so I can start reloading. I will be reloading with the goal in mind to do some long range shooting so I want some good products and price doesnt matter much as I would rather buy the best stuff and not have cheap stuff as one of my prolbems if i start having prolbems. I am building a remington 7mm and I have seen the gun can do its part now I want to start playing with some loads to see what i can do now any info will be gladly appreciated

RCBS ChargeMaster Combo. You won't wind up with a beam scale and powder measure, trickler, etc. that you don't need.
Calibration Weight Set.

Wilson case trimmer with Sinclair base (obtained as a unit from Sinclair). Get caseholders for fired cases (new cases typically don't require trimming).
Redding and Forster dies. Forster's non-mic seating die is preferred to Redding's standard seater.
VLD chamfer tool (Lyman, RCBS).
Imperial Sizing Wax.
Caliper.
Sinclair catalog.

Sinclair has great accessories. The Satern aluminum funnels are really nice, as are Sinclair's loading blocks, concentricity gauge, primer pocket tools....

You'll also need a priming tool. RCBS's Universal and Lee's AutoPrime hand tools are popular.

www.sinclairintl.com

Last edited:
You're welcome.

I didn't mention it, but the VLD chamfer won't de-burr the outside of the case neck. You'll need another tool for that. Sinclair has a carbide VLD tool that is essentially a tapered grinding burr. It's expensive, but is a better tool. I would think that a tool steel burr would do the same thing, if you have access to a tool supply. Something with a 20 to 30 deg. taper.

Take a look at what's available and ask questions; do forum searches. What I have recommended is a selection of the most popular and practical tools available, all excellent.

In the back of the Sinclair catalog is a selection of books. "Handloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker is one that you will eventually want to read. The "Advanced Handloading" DVD may prove to be beneficial immediately. You'll also want some reloading manuals: Lyman's, Speer, Sierra, Hornady are all good (either Hornady or Speer, you don't need both). Read and re-read.

Last edited:
Hornady/ stoney point COAL guage to mount on the caliper, and possibly a headspace guage to help set up your dies for Partial full length sizing.

Primer pocket uniformer by RCBS

The sinclair runout guage is nice for eliminating other factors when doing load development (@$100) it all depends on how far you want to take your loading and how much you intend to spend.

You may want to start out with less equipment and add on as you go. Experience counts for much more than good equipment IMHO. Good luck, Mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.