Just getting back into this, have a couple questions?

trlcavscout

Hello all, I am just getting back into shooting more then the usual hunting distance's. I use to shoot out to 600-700 yds quite a bit but havent in years. Unfortunately I dont know anyone around northern CO that does so I am relearning via internet until next week when hopefully my scope is ready to go and the weather is nicer.

So my setup ("BUDGET" minded starter package):
Howa 1500 .308 (not heavy barrel)
Mueller tactical 4-16X50 mil dot

I chose the non-heavy barrel because we hike alot of miles coyote hunting and that is what this will be used for. But I do want to test the limits on some targets. So I know with this barrel (22") I will be limited. I am gonna burn up 400 rds of 147 Gr surplus ammo I got first to get a feel on the paper before I start using good ammo and hunting. I remeber most of the mil dot info and I have been trying to bone up on what I dont remember. So I am looking for any info/tips on the optics, the scope should be here tomorrow or wed I hope, I have a pic rail on it now, I will probably go with the burris rings with the inserts ( I forgot what they are called now?).

So my questions are:
I cannot find how much internal adjustment that scope has so I am at a loss, if anyone knows that would be great?

Any idea on the max range that rifle should be capable of shooting accurately/consistantly, takeing me out of the picture?

I want the scope mounted as low as possible to get the most elevation adjustment out of it right?

Any other help for practically a noobie?

Thanks for any help. I have been shooting 300 yd max the last decade or so, so to get out past 500 again will take some work.

Welcome to the LRH bug!

You should be able to punch paper out to 1000yds with the rifle. The 22" barrel won't affect you much if you use appropriate reloads.

Coyotes are easy to kill, the big problem is that they don't like to hold still while a bullet is on it's way! The rifle should be accurate enough for any Coyote shooting that you intend to do with it. I prefer a little less 'ballistically challenged' round, because the coyotes I'm familiar with don't give you a lot of time to range them then shoot. So a little flatter cartridge gives you a bit more leeway for error's.

AJ

ps: there are a lot of LRH's here in Colorado.

Thanks. Fortunately my coyote hunting partner is pretty experienced and can call them in within 300 yds consistantly. We are both interested in airing it out and seeing how far we can go but neither one of us have much experience when it comes to building a package. I think I finally figured out what 20 moa bases are, a review on sniper central said I would need 15 or 20 moa to get out to 1,000 with the scope I ordered. Now I have to spend more $

I wish I new some LRH's around here, it would be easier then trying to learn via internet you know.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.