Just an Idea

bcraft1111

I got a 45-70 for hunting during Mississippi's primative weapon season and was looking for a load for it.

It made me think that if they can make a bullet with a high BC for a 50 why not a 45.

I know that 50-driver gets custom bullets made.

Can I have one made for a 45/70.

or will there be issues with this one.

Just an Idea!

you could not drive it to any kind of velocity that bc would be a factor, but Barnes does make some sweet 45-70 spitzers in 300, 350 and 400gr I believe. I have either the 300 or 350gr to load up, but I broke the stock on my .45-70. The forearm of my stock ripped through the front tension screw. I still have not come up with a plan to get it fixed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you can use any bullet you want, try the Barnes 250 or 300 gr X bullet 45/70 style. They can go faster for weight and have a 1/2" deep hole in the nose. They'll open for sure but still stay together with a good frontal area. Won't blow up on bone and you can always tell the direction of the exit by the trees you knock down! I use it in a Win 94 Timber for my Grizzly bear insurance. Just talked to Barnes about it (the 300 gr X) and they have had a bunch of guys use it on bears, etc. with great results. I'm impressed with velocity and groups! Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bcraft1111,

I would recommend getting ahold of Cast Performance Bullets and order some of their world class hard cast big game bullets. They will perform exceptionally well in your 45-70 at any velocity you drive them to and I have found they generally outshoot the jacketed bullets as well. Their huge flat noses are dramatic on game!!!

They have several bullet options that will serve you perfectly on game from light whitetails to cape buffalo in your rifle!!

These are the only bullets I use in my big bore handguns and moderate velocity big bore rifles. They are gas checked so there is no lead fouling issues either. Great bullets. Perhaps the best big bore, big game bullets out there for the type of rifle you are using.

Penertration will never be a problem, you will never recover one of these in a game animal in your area.

Kirby Allen(50)

bcraft1111,

Kirby is right about the Cast Performance bullets. Just talked with a guy at the range shooting a Pedersoli (sp?) for use on a buffalo hunt in NE. He has already taken three head out to 1200 yds with 525 gr pills. No bullets recovered at that range yet either.

Hey I was asked what type rifle I had and I need to mention that it is a Browning Highwall 45-70 Govt. not a 45-70 if that makes a difference. I read in the owners manual that it has a different barrel than the 45-70 I think it said it has 8 groves.

Will this make a difference in what loads I use in my rifle and is the bore different than a regular 45-70 in bullet diamiter.

Can someone explain the difference.

Also with the handloads what is achievable as far a balistics from this rifle with bullets sized for Whitetails.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.