Just a funny story, "At what point does it become over kill?"

Black Diamond 408

Just a funny story, \"At what point does it become over kill?\"

This is nothing new and i supose some of you have even done it. Yesterday my bro called and wanted to do some shooting and ofcourse he needed my help, (borrows all my stuff) So i said ok as i have a rifle to break in for a customer anyway.
He showed up with a truck full of old military rifles, our dads 25-06 he built in the 50's (old springfield) and a 30-40 Krag he just got at a show. I set up the chrono and got all my bench stuff out. Of course he started complaining about my bench being all shaky, your sand bags are wet! Well i gave him some advise on that,,,not going to mention that. He used my targets, complained on being to small....Yada, Yada. He shot a few of the old timers and i got out the Newest 338 Snipe-Tac i just finished for a customer. I bore sighted it at 100yds, fired a shot, moved the scope, fired second shot, it cut the bullseye perfectly. I then fired two more and all three were a very small clover leaf. I cleaned the rifle while he popped at the targets with his Krag. I fired three more through the 338 and the same group appeared, more like a ragged hole. The load i was using was 140grns of H-BMG50 behind a 300MK bullet, speeds were averaging 3300fps. I cleaned the rifle again while he was shooting our dads old rifle, the bbl in this thing is almost devoid of rifling, last guess it has fired over 4000 rounds. He used it for everything, P-dogs, deer, antelopers and Yotes. They hardly ever cleaned back in the day. I was surprised to see it still would hold 1.5" groups. He was shooting shells that were made from 30-06 military, the boxes were loaded in 1962. OK back to the story... I had 4 shells left for the 338 snipe-tac so i got ready to fire on last group and i noticed a fly on the target board, i told my bro i was going hunting...I said "hey we got varmints out there!" He said where? I pointed out the flys on the green targets...he said "So" Well i said watch and learn...BOOOOOOOM went the big fire breathing monster...fly gone! He said you missed it, i said NO it hit where the fly was, um dead? He was very doubtfull and said ok, there was another one on the other target, next to the number 9 ring...I fired another round, it cut the side off of the number 9, right where the fly was sitting. We walked down to the target and there looked to be evidence of fly gooey, we couldn't find any body parts. So i ask you is this over kill? My bro thought so.

Dave

Re: Just a funny story, \"At what point does it become over kill?\"

overkill??? whats that?

good story, thanks for posting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nah, hardly overkill.

Did that once during a match w/last shot. Dropped out of the standings but there was red around the 224 cal hole.

Would rather hit meat than paper any time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If that was one of those 13 pounders I'm gonna be grumpy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good shootin"!!!

Roy,

Yeah it was not a 13 pounder, it was 15.5# with scope and bi-pod. Mike Rock 32" bbl, 9.25" twist.

Dave

Gotta love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, what I meant was, was it under 16 pounds fully dressed?

Now that's what I call shootability!!!!!!

Man, I wish I was born in something like '53 instead of '43 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I wish I was born in something like '53 instead of '43

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to tell Buffalobob you is ancient /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dave , no such thing as overkill as dead is dead , not "more dead " , " double dead " etc . On the other hand " underkill " that is , "less than dead" can reach up and bite a fella on the butt ...........................or other nether parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good shooting and don't wory about your brothers obsession with " dead " rifles , someones got to be the historian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim B.

I like that one!!!

Not overkill at all. It's just like using large diameter aluminum arrows for target shooting, you have to use the big bullets to make sure you hit them little targets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

That's sure a nice shooter!

Overkill? Nope! I'm a pretty fair shot but a terrible tracker...one of the maladies of having red/green color deficient vision! That's why I like Bang! Flop!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.