July to Sep, Big Snook time again

Ludicrous

Love this time of year for big snook. Average size 38-50 inches. Couldn't fish them at all last year with six month old twins at the house but plan on hitting them hard again this year. Catch and release until September then I might keep one if I can find a little one in the slot to bite.

null-8.jpg

null-7.jpg

null-6.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-1.jpg

Snook has long been on my bucket list of fish. I'll probably fly fish for them, but do all the other forms as well. Those all are great fish, and must congratulate you. I'm getting ready to order in a ten weight rod to go along with the seven and eight weights I already own for peacock bass next year. Reels will be salt water quality, and will probably buy one more reel for the seven to eights. Already have two new #4 lightspeeds, so I good to go there. When the ten gets here, I'll probably use it on stripers to get into the learning curve.

Be proud of those fish!
gary

You would have your hands full with a fly setup. The occasional tarpon and Goliath grouper hit too. I fish with 65 braid 80 floro leader and 8/0 circle hook. Drag locked down at 40#. Whole lady fish or Spanish mackerel filet. I prefer the Spanish mackerel filet. Trick thus time of year is to fish with dead bait. Not many snook fishermen understand that, or want to. Only applies to July August and September.

You would have your hands full with a fly setup. The occasional tarpon and Goliath grouper hit too. I fish with 65 braid 80 floro leader and 8/0 circle hook. Drag locked down at 40#. Whole lady fish or Spanish mackerel filet. I prefer the Spanish mackerel filet. Trick thus time of year is to fish with dead bait. Not many snook fishermen understand that, or want to. Only applies to July August and September.

I got into flyfishing over twenty years ago with a rather crude outfit that was setup 300% wrong! Had no one to learn from, so I'd say my bad habits are here forever. Smallmouth bass are my favorite fish to catch, but the biggest is about 5lb. on a flyrod, and that was luck in getting him in. I know would have been able to land him without much trouble. In the fall of the year I tie on rats of my own design, and go after really big bass. Rats are the single most expensive fly I've ever put together, and have a couple of cigar boxes full of rats that didn't work well. I use a rubber worm hook that will vary in size from a one ought to a five ought. Have tried maybe two dozen different kinds, and keep going back to a modified Owner. This hook is still a little too short, and need the same hook about a half inch longer. Strikes are so violent that the rat is only good for about three to five strikes! Tiger Muskies are on the hit list this fall as well this year. This fish are rather violent and somewhat dangerous to unhook!

Streams around here have been messed up all year long! Have not bothered to get into one as they are that bad! Looked like it was a go later in this week, but they got over 4" of rain yesterday afternoon, and all the water goes south right thru my area. I doubt we got a half inch of much needed rain in Greenwood. But the lilley pads look great this year, and that's where I run the rats. My rat is so big that I can use it with a flipping stick if I choose and it takes at least an eight weight rod to get them out twenty feet (never go further than thirty feet anyway) . The trick is to make the float right and swim like the real thing. They'd be a breeze with a ten weight rod.

Stopped by to see a buddy of mine yesterday afternoon during the deluge of rain yesterday afternoon, and John told me he was in Florida tarpon fishing! Must be nice. He's using a ten weight rod with some special line I'm interested in (probably fishing for baby tarpon). I'll catch him next weekend to see how he did (he's ten times better than I am). Plus he's got a lot more money to play with than I do.
gary

what area are you fishing, east or west coast? im from vero beach but wont return till late fall. were they caught near those docks? it would appear the one boat is set up for towing?

West coast. State record snook was caught about 12 miles north of here. 44 pounds 3 ounces. Have caught them in the high 30's and have seen and lost some monsters. Yeah that one boat is a SeaTow vessel. Did that for about 1-1/2 years. Learn a lot being out there everyday.

what area are you fishing, east or west coast? im from vero beach but wont return till late fall. were they caught near those docks? it would appear the one boat is set up for towing?

peacock bass are in the canals a little south of Daytona Beach, and in the FT Lauderdale area.
gary

peacock bass are in the canals a little south of Daytona Beach, and in the FT Lauderdale area.
gary

yes im aware of that. im not much of a canal fisherman however. i recently moved to vero beach after living in the keys for 9 years. so im learning the
indian river and the inlets in this area. i believe the state record snook for
legnth was taken near stuart rather recently.

yes im aware of that. im not much of a canal fisherman however. i recently moved to vero beach after living in the keys for 9 years. so im learning the
indian river and the inlets in this area. i believe the state record snook for
legnth was taken near stuart rather recently.

My trip will not be till next year, but I'm starting to get prepped for it right now. Ten weight setup will be done this time next month. I have threel, and the main question right now is just whatkind of line to buy. I am looking at the liquid crystal Cortland tropical stuff (not cheap!). I may pickup another eight weight rod this fall, if I can get a deal on a Scott G2 ($$$). I'm OK with the seven and eight weight reel setups, but may need one or two more spools. I'll break the big ten weight in on northern pike this fall, and maybe tiger muskys (particularly nasty creatures)
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.