Juenke Machines being manufactured gain

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by BountyHunter, Nov 11, 2013.

1. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Just found out that the BulletDoctor (www.bulletdoctor.com) is now manufacturing their version of the Juenke machines for testing bullets and cases.

These machines have been out of production since Vern Juenke retired yrs ago.

Right now used ones are premium priced and snapped up anytime one comes available.

I am not sure what the going price is or how fast the delivery is.

Len, they are looking for dealers. :)

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the stupid question...But what exactly does it do? What info do you gather from using this machine?

Pardon my ignorance, but I am curious...

3. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

As I understand it, they tell you the concentricity of the bullets themselves, as in, the relationship of jacket to core. One of my former rifle builders who retired said the Swift Scirocco was one of the most trued concentric bullets he ever spun on his machine. I am guessing it tells you how centered the core is to the jacket.

4. MudRunner2005

Hmmm, how much does one of them things run? Might be interested in snatching one up just to play around with.

5. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

It's air-coupled ultrasonic testing.
    The interface between copper jacket and lead core represents an accoustic impedance shift, causing reflection timing that shifts with jacket variance to the transducer.

Doesn't take much investigation to understand why these are expensive

6. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

If you can get an original buy it. Mudrunner...more than $100.00 and less than $5,000.00. I think I've seen one for sale in 4 years.....and the POA was more than I had in my wallet.

Esentially it's a Hall effect sensor acting on a non ferrous material.

You can't see inside a pill and if you section it to see inside, it's worthless. This machine sees inside, sort of.

For those of us who can't afford one, an ocassional flyer is acceptable....:)

7. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

I thought the originals were going for around $500

8. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

No, you can't see inside bullets.
    I sold my Juenke off for $850 a while back. Some Aussie got a good deal on that one.

9. SidecarFlip

20 years ago maybe. The price of components and labor to assemble has gone up appreciably because the value of the Dollar has gone down appreciably. What cost 500 bucks 20 years ago costs 5000 bucks today....

Vern's design and execution was way ahead of it's time IMO.

I don't need one that bad, I'd like to have one, however, they are more pressing items oin my bucket list.

10. rgehrig

rgehrig New Member

I am involved in getting these machines back in production on the electronics side.

We are try to gauge how much interest there is in having these for sale.

At somewhere around $2500 would you be interested in one of these machines?

Thanks

11. MudRunner2005

As much as I'd like to say yes, that's about 1/10 of my yearly wage, so unfortuantely, I'd have to say no.

12. SidecarFlip

I would be. Not all that much considering a custom built rifle is upwards of 4 grand and I have the liquid income. Besides, a year later, my bucket list is about filled.

13. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

Id like one but i think 2500 is outside of my budget.

14. rgehrig

rgehrig New Member

HI all

That price is not set in stone, working to reduce it.

Part of it is the precise machining that is required for certain parts, and the labor involved in assembling parts of the fixture.