Juenke Bullet Spinner - who has one?

royinidaho

Lookin' for a friendly soul to spin two bullets.

Two bullets for a start. Then probably two more after corrections are made.

Anyone out there have one of these things and willing to spin a couple and tell me if how deficient they may be?

Thanks
Roy

Doesn't work that way. It does not measure deficiancies like you are thinking. It mainly allows you to pick out anomoly bullets and sort your bullets into uniform groupings.

You use one bullet to establish the norm with a measurement of what is called Deviation Units (DU). You want no more than 1 DU variation as you spin the control bullet.

I always found one bullet that measured a 1 DU and kept it for my control bullet to zero the Juenke each time. I kept the control bullets in a little tube with the machine setting (what it measured on the DU scale) marked on it and reset the scale to the same number each time I used it.

For example a control bullet measured a 20 on the scale when I originally measured it. the next time I would zero the Juenke to measure 20 again on the same control bullet and then go sorting the other bullets measuring their DU variations and sort them into DU groupings. Then you knew that those bullets in that DU grouping were uniform. You reloaded using one grouping of bullets at a time.

Any bullet that spun over 5 DU variance was not uniform enough for a group normally. They were used for testing, sighters etc

I have seen a factory box of bullets vary as much as 20 DU spread and very few that would be a consistent 3 DU or less.

A Juenke really helps sort the anomoly bullets out of the box and to sort the bullets into uniform groups.

If you are manufacturing bullets, testing only two will not tell you how uniform your process is. They could be two at opposite ends of your tolerance span.

BH

Last edited:
BH,

Thanks for the reply. I learn something every day here. Its a great spot to be.

My intention is/was to compare two bullets, either one being the 'control' to determine consistency in my 'pointing' process. That is, I select two/or a number of final product bullets that are as identical as I can measure/weigh/etc and determine consistency.

I am nearing production, hopefully :rolleyes: (nearing is a relative term).

A quality control process will be helpful in achieving consistency of points that go out the door but I'm looking to achieve as much consistency as possible with my setup.

Again, thanks for the insight!

Roy

The Juenke will not measure the points, it is set to measure over the core body above the boattail to the start of ogive.

the bullets rests and turns over 4 points. No way to get out the points.

BH

Hmmmmm,

Will it detect if the centerline of the bullet and centerline of the point are a bit off.

Maybe it would be better to chuck up the newly pointed bullet an indicated it w/the dial indicator. Hmmmmm, maybe I just had a new thought. Pretty good, eh . . . for an Italian:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts