Judging a Load

Jim Hundley

I hope that this is not a stupid question,but,never the less,I will ask.
What do you look for to differenciate between a bad load combination and/or just poor shooting.Is there a difference in the group shape that might point to one or the other?
I just shot a load consisting of 83 grs.of H-1000,180 gr. Accubond,Lapua(once fired)brass,Fed.GM215m primer,COL of 3.385"(magazine limit),bullet run out .002 or less.This was shot from a .300 Win.mag. semi custom with a 25.3" Hart,etc.The velocity averaged 3048 fps,with a SD of 5 fps. for six three shot groups.Groups ran from 1-1.8".This rifle is a shooter.Did I have a bad day or how do you tell if the load is bad?
Thanks for your opinions.
Jimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hmmmmmm,

Has that specific load shot well before?

If yes then, something must have changed.

If this is a new load is there any pattern or similarities between the groups.

What I have found is that if they string either way its not the proper load and try up and down a bit on powder.

If they are 3 shot groups and generally form a triangle then I move up and/or down a bit in powder and see if they begin to string either way. If they do, then the original load is about as good as that load will shoot. However seating depth may alter the size.

That's a bunch of powder and bullets to send down the barrel not counting the time involved. You may wish to try a ladder or OCW test with that powder and bullet to start rather than end with.

Good luck....

One group was a triangle,the others were two within 1/2" and the other out.One group had two shots through the same hole and the other out.All of the groups looked like if all three shots could be pushed together it would be one ragged hole.What I am trying to say is that the three shots were on the same plane,the one out would be even with the other two.

Roy,
I just thought of something.I might be pushing against the rifle,for I have to strech and lean into the stock with the bench set up.I can't get my body behind the rifle unless the front rest is moved to the left(I shoot right),when I move it to the point of comfort the rear rest is partically hanging off the bench.I wonder what I could do?Yes,this load has been very accurate before.In working it up I put five shots within 5/8",One hole about the size of a marble.
I must be doing something that is not consistant from shot to shot---bench technique?
Thanks,
Jim

Roy,
Just measured all the groups and the average for all six was 1.06".If it were not for the fliers it would have been about .6".
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.