John LAZZERONI new member

The Deicide ,,,,

I designed the Lazzeroni Warbird/Titan cartridges in 1995 specifically to meet or exceed the performance of the 30/378--338/378 Wby Magnums, but without the belt ,,,,, AND all the recoil associated with the big Wby's ,,,,

beltless, 30 degree sharp shoulder, excellent factory throat/chamber dimensions ,,,,,, keeping the OAL at 3.650" or less, with bullet ogive to barrel land distances at minimum ,,,, for proper feeding/function in the Lazzeroni 3-round staggered magazine box ,,,,

TheDeicide ,,,,,

a gentleman by the name of Rick Usleton also builds quite a few rifles in the Lazzeroni Warbird caliber, and they are a bit less expensive than the Lazzeroni model 2012s ,,,,,

A friend of mine in Az put together a Warbird for me about 1996 or '97. It was built on a Rem 700 with a 27" Lilja barrel in 14 twist, and sat in a McMillan HTG stock. I made my first 500 yrd kill shot with that rifle and never even touched the knob on the scope. I also killed a couple of bull elk at over 800 yrds. That rifle was a ton of fun, and the barrel lasted pretty close to 1500 rounds. Near the end of it's life I started to get unexplainable flyers. Like 3 or 4 in a nice group at 700 yrds and one 4 feet low. So I shelved the rifle a few years ago until I get around to putting a new barrel on it. The new tube will have a bit more twist and probably finish at 28".
I'm glad to hear about the change in brass suppliers. I had a few issues with some of the MAST brass. I was starting to think about a 30 cal wildcat on the 338 Lapua. But now I may rethink that.
It may be time to get on the ball and spin a new tube on my "Bird".

Welcome John! I have been a Warbird nut for about 10 years now. I first bought the Sako and then had my smith(Jerry Simison, Detroit Lakes, MN) build one for me. I bug him every time that I am in his shop about a Lazzeroni cartridge board he has on his wall and if he will sell it to me. I have never seen one on your web page but would love to get my hands on one. Do you still offer them? I have been considering a custom Firebird for my next project.

Warbird782 ,,,,,,

for the Lazzeroni cartridge boards ,, I made only about 50 of them back in the 90s when I first started the company, so they are somewhat rare ,,,

elkaholic ,,,,

thank you for the good words ,,,, and yes, this is a pretty cool site ,,,,

John,

I have enjoyed my Savage 16LZ Patriot for many years. Currently I have a rifle being built also in the Patriot caliber. I selected a Bartlein barrel 11.5 twist in hopes of using the 185 grain Berger VLD's for Elk etc and the 168's for everything else (barrel length will be 23"). I'm sorry I didn't buy your gun but I have to do everything myself - half the fun. The good news is that I will be replacing all of my brass! Anyway, my question is have you tried the Berger VLD's and if so were the results good at these velocities? My savage shoots 3120 fps with a 175 gr Barnes LRX (70 gr of R19). My other question is have you experimented with R17 in the Patriot caliber?

John,

I have enjoyed my Savage 16LZ Patriot for many years. Currently I have a rifle being built also in the Patriot caliber. I selected a Bartlein barrel 11.5 twist in hopes of using the 185 grain Berger VLD's for Elk etc and the 168's for everything else (barrel length will be 23"). I'm sorry I didn't buy your gun but I have to do everything myself - half the fun. The good news is that I will be replacing all of my brass! Anyway, my question is have you tried the Berger VLD's and if so were the results good at these velocities? My savage shoots 3120 fps with a 175 gr Barnes LRX (70 gr of R19). My other question is have you experimented with R17 in the Patriot caliber?

I also shoot the Patriot in a rechambered 700 S/A. & yes I have been experimenting with RL-17 :D (my first & probably go to powder, is RL-19). I started with the 150TSX & RL-19 (all loads w/215m's), I changed it up after using a chronograph (dolt) one hole 5shot groups @ 100, SD & ES in the single digits, first round hit at 967yds.... but it was too slow!!! At least that's how I justified my tinkeritis:D Went to the 180 MRX, again w/RL-19, running the accuracy load at 3050ish (approached 3100 w/o pressure). After the discontinuation of the MRX I am now running the 168TTSX & RL-19... back to one hole groups & STUPID (good) velocity, I'm still toying with bringing the ES & SD down.

John & actually discussed this subject to some length, he talked my into switching over to the 210m's as it worked really well for him. We'll see!

Great cartridge...

gunner69 ,,,,

I think reloader 17 would be a bit too fast for the heavier bullets in the Lazz Patriot caliber ,,,,

one of the best performing loads I have personally used in the Patriot was a 180gr Nosler Partition, reloader 22 powder and federal 210M primer ,,,,, very fast and consistent ,,,

outlaw6.0 ,,,,,,,

I have done so much primer testing on both the Lazz long and short mags, that I don't even experiment anymore, "I" just use federal 215M in all Lazz LONG mags and federal 210M for all Lazz short mags ,,,,, seems to work out well every time ,,,,

check out the new Lazzeroni FACEBOOK page at http://www.facebook.com/LazzeroniArmsInc ,,,,,,

When virgin valley custom guns was still in business I had them make me a 27" sporter contour barrel for a thompson encore chambered in the .284 Tomahawk. Man I loved that gun. Accurate, very little recoil, and deadly in the field. I kept it until I started noticing dimples in the brass....the dimples were where the chamber pressure started pushing out into the scope base holes that were tapped a few mm's away. VVCG were in the process of going out of business and were unwilling to do anything about it, and said it would hurt nothing, but I ended up selling it anyway.
Brass was very expensive, but I never wore any of my original 40 pieces out and shot the gun almost 470 times.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.