john burns was at the show !!! cool guy!

bucknutz

post a little info we learned from him

I talked to John Burns for Beond Belief.... to be nice he is beond belief. I tried to talk to him about better reloading or just talking about showing what better reload can do for distance. Just relaod and shoot and shoot some more! That was his anwser. Seem like mortor fire in the military (sacheration?) of an area with lead is his idea???? Oh and his 1000$ dollar scope is 1/3 moa clicks? That might be fine up close but would that be a BIG jump at distance??? I think he is just into selling stuff? But the guy I was hoping to see BUTCH KEEN was MIA????? I was hoping to get one of his new flicks. Anywho for my money I think I'll stick to the BIG gun shows
07 February 2007, 10:57 PMrem`06 ya mean you didn't see butch at john burns booth getting pointers??? i just turned my back on him, i had my PLRH shirt on .maybe i'll go back and get some pointers on friday?
08 February 2007, 04:38 AMRic Horst Bubb,

It was great to meet you! Sorry we didn't have more time to talk. We've just been real busy...

Mr. Burns has been at 2 shows that we've been at, his smoke and mirrors act will eventually catch up with him. I actually tried to be nice and say "hi," he wouldn't respond. He just looked the other way.

But his knock off 1/3 MOA scope for $1000 should really give NF, Lupy and Nikon a run for their money...

"Applying distance to ethical hunting"
08 February 2007, 04:41 AMBubb Rem ask John about reloading for better accuracy. He doesn't care. Just getting a fast load and shot alot and shoot some more and use the BCD. Oh and I fore got to mention how much he wants for one of his rifles. 6000$ I think Chris might be under priced As for John if you got more money than you know what to do, and don't know better he's your man. I like watching his show but theres just to much holes in what he does. Might work in short distance but 1/3 moa clicks at distance and in diffrent elevations your all over the place. Any who had fun looking at a hunt thourgh Joel in west virgina horse back way in and hunt for 5 days 900$ Would anyone form the board want in?? Nice thing about w.v. is there opener falls on the peak rut.
08 February 2007, 05:12 AMRic Horst $6000 for a rifle.... HOLY crap....

08 February 2007, 09:19 AMBubb Yeah didn't you know that ric?? I put you down for 2 of his rifles! LOL... You just got to laugh some time don't ya! Like my grandfathre use to say... didn't know they could pill carp that high!
10 February 2007, 10:33 PMMontour Rifles I too stopped and talked to John for a bit. I believe I had the same reaction as some others here. I watched some of his videos. I mentioned about Butch Keens video and The Hunters Exchange TV show and how we also video long range hunts. Lets just say he didn't have anything nice to say after that, he just wanted to sell me a $99 DVD. I politely told him I already know what NOT to do. (skyline shots) He claims that's perfectly safe where they hunt. I'm just glad I hunt on the East coast and he's a couple thousand miles away.

I specialize in creating custom built target and hunting long range rifles
11 February 2007, 11:28 AMTakman From all the "holes" I hear being exposed in his stuff maybe he should change the name of the DVD to Beyond Bullsh_t!
11 February 2007, 03:18 PMDave Wilson

Picture Al Bundy without his hand in his pants....that's me!
mean you didn't see butch at john burns booth getting pointers???

&$$*&(*%$^#^&#$^#^*$(%$))(*&^ Someday You'll Have To Face Me...REMMY

POINT BLANK FROM LONG RANGE

THE CUTTING EDGE IN LONG RANGE HUNTING VIDEO PRODUCTION
13 February 2007, 04:19 PMBoydHeaton
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Keen:
ya mean you didn't see butch at john burns booth getting pointers???

&$$*&(*%$^#^&#$^#^*$(%$))(*&^ Someday You'll Have To Face Me...REMMY
You mean the pointer that ONE BDC knob works in all altitude's and temps.
13 February 2007, 06:14 PMrem`06 just getting your attention to say hello!

you're one i have not met at mifflin.i'm a good sport.and besides,my buds' jb,buffalobob,frank and boyd will be there to spot for me.
see you in april.
come to think where's frank been? coyote hunting in the laurel highlands? i didn't see him there? say hello frank............???????
14 February 2007, 05:58 AMRic Horst Ya know I always wondered about butch and john... I knew there was someone behind the scenes...
common butch come clean, tell us he's your mentor...

LOL!!!!

Whats scary is that people were eating it up.. he always had guys around his booth and who knows how many people he bullshitted into believing him.

Tell ya what the guy has balls.. trying to sell that [censored] in the state where LR hunting was practically invented.

I wish someone would have called him out right there in front of a crowd.

You should see him at the Cody Shooting complex and the one Outfitters store in town. Hell you'd think he was a movie star he has his asslickers following him around like his "groupies". 2 real dorks who wouldn't know any better and the owner of Wyoming Outdoor industries thinks he's special cause he sells Johns [censored]... freaking joke, but because he was on TV people buy it as the truth.

Anyone wanna start at "mythbusters of Beyond ********" I have the place if you have the funds....

15 February 2007, 08:04 AMJB1000BR Bruce Baer stopped by and gave him a run for his money

I didn't have the heart, cause I know I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face...

JB

Check it Out!!--> Shoot the Smack The Smiley Match...and help AmericanSnipers.org
15 February 2007, 08:18 AMJoel A. Russo Jason,

I put Bruce up to it. We walked over to his booth and I watched Bruce eat his lunch. It was quite a funny sight. After about twenty minutes Burns finally offered Bruce a free DVD, the $19.95 one. Bruce told him "keep it because I'll end up throwing it away."

When we walked away from the booth Bruce said, " that boy does'nt know whether his [censored] has been bored or punched."
15 February 2007, 09:19 AMJB1000BR Joel, I heard...ran into Bruce later that day at the show

Burns sure do have a shiny forehead, and slick hair...struck me as a stereotypical used car salesman...

I particularly liked the part about always launching the shuttle to the east

JB

Check it Out!!--> Shoot the Smack The Smiley Match...and help AmericanSnipers.org
15 February 2007, 04:52 PMJoel A. Russo I forgot about launching it to the east. lol

When Bruce told him he did'nt think that bullets can go 500 yds...Burns replied " we use special VLD bullets " It took him 10 minutes to explain what they are, as Bruce put on his best dumb country bumkin' face. I wish I had the whole episode on tape. Way too funny. LMAO.
15 February 2007, 06:24 PMRic Horst I would have paid an admission fee to see/hear the conversation.

Used car salesman is a perfect description!

15 February 2007, 07:20 PMJoel A. Russo I just remembered the "best one" of the conversation.

Get this..

Bruce asked him why he does'nt use good optics.
Insinuating he should use Nightforce instead of Leupold.
Burns' reply... now get this... "They are good enough for what we do, it's not like we are shooting a bench rest match." ***?
Bruce replied "Good enough for what you do?, Is'nt what you are doing a little more important than punching paper.?"
Burns' reply.. "We have to make compromises somewhere, the Leupolds are easier to carry around because they are more compact than the Nightforce."

I was ready to punch him in the mouth.
15 February 2007, 07:34 PMRic Horst WOW!!! That pretty much sums it all up on him. He's a first class ***...

Joel, a punch from you would put him in the middle of next week. I remember that you ain't exactly a small guy...

Are his "custom" scopes a Lupy knockoff?

OH and BTW, I'd like to ask a favor of someone....

can someone go over to LRH and post some of this about John... he's pretty much one of the reasons ( besides the other assmunch ) I was kicked off there. I cannot post as Len has blocked me.
I sure would make me feel better that Johnny is finally being exposed.

15 February 2007, 07:41 PMJoel A. Russo Ric

I'm not as big as I used to be.. these stocks are cutting into my gym time.

But, I'm sure it would'nt take much after seeing his stature.

I think he uses a plain old Leupold with the Kenton dials. I think he has a deal going on a new reticle and a 1/3 min dial with them. I don't know all the details, and certainly don't care.
15 February 2007, 08:50 PMRic Horst yeah ok, Mr. modest.... I called out to ya as you walked by on Sat or Sun. You were pretty focused on your direction and I had about 10 potential clients asking questions so the attempt wasn't the best.
From what I remember...and seeing you this past weekend...I'm pretty sure you can take him....

I'm glad he is getting exposed for what he is...

as JB says.. a used car salesman...

Anyone actually understand the point of this post????

I may need to get some sleep and read it again to make any sense out of it. Looks like a bunch of cut and paste posts from Ric Horst??????

Kirby Allen(50)

I can't made heads or tails of it either but it's only 0430 here... maybe later today I'll try again.

I got a little bit of background on this post I guess.

Near the end of this post the

"OH and BTW, I'd like to ask a favor of someone....

can someone go over to LRH and post some of this about John... he's pretty much one of the reasons ( besides the other assmunch ) I was kicked off there. I cannot post as Len has blocked me.
I sure would make me feel better that Johnny is finally being exposed."

Is a request from Ric to update the folks here at LRH as to the happenings/dialog with John Burns and at the show (Eastern Sportsman's Show in Harrisburg I'd guess). But, as with many things (good intentions) it appears what is posted here is not how that information was to be passed either by manner or context (my take on this issue).

Ric did not post this here on LRH (we know this) but it does appear that the posts are a dialog between Ric and JB and perhaps others over on PLRH.

I believe the best thing to do is to remove this post/thread and let another more appropriate version be posted, something more representative of the desires of the parties involved.

Bucknutz

Would you consided deleting your post so as something perhaps a little more along the desired intent could be posted?? Thanks

sorry dave,this is not toward you.i'm not able to delete it.
but the blast against jim zumbo stirred me back up.

my point got twisted toward a guy that speaks the truth (ric)against "let-em-fly" maybe it will drop it!

there is a blast above against jim zumbo who is a million times more ethical than john burns.its his opinion to not want to shoot that far it is his choice,and he can comment on it. but burns is too many peoples hero and promoting it? thats the problem! and he is doing it!

HOT off the press in harrisburg:

I tried to talk to him about better reloading or just talking about showing what better reload can do for distance. Just relaod and shoot and shoot some more! That was his anwser.

ask John about reloading for better accuracy. He doesn't care. Just getting a fast load and shot alot and shoot some more and use the BCD. Oh and I fore got to mention how much he wants for one of his rifles. 6000$

I too stopped and talked to John for a bit. I believe I had the same reaction as some others here. I watched some of his videos. I mentioned about Butch Keens video and The Hunters Exchange TV show and how we also video long range hunts. Lets just say he didn't have anything nice to say after that, he just wanted to sell me a $99 DVD. I politely told him I already know what NOT to do. (skyline shots) He claims that's perfectly safe where they hunt.

Whats scary is that people were eating it up.. he always had guys around his booth and who knows how many people he bullshitted into believing him.

Tell ya what the guy has balls.. trying to sell that [censored] in the state where LR hunting was practically invented.

I wish someone would have called him out right there in front of a crowd.

When Bruce told him he did'nt think that bullets can go 500 yds...Burns replied " we use special VLD bullets " It took him 10 minutes to explain what they are,

"Good enough for what you do?, Is'nt what you are doing a little more important than punching paper.?"
Burns' reply.. "We have to make compromises somewhere

that's what i read!

Ric,

I for one, am on your side. JB statements leave a lot to be desired...

I live in Wyoming too... A young boy was shot in Buffalo, by the same... "skyline" mentality type as John.

I for one think Mr. Burns needs to go back to Hunters Safety....

the all mighty dollar has prevailed over his judgement and responsibility as a figure in the public eye.

I will stop there.

Ric,

Your back!! How has life been treating you.

First time I watched Johns videos there were several things that caused the BS flag to fly but out of professional respect I tried not to tell others it was all a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

I do not know the man personally but it sounds like things are coming out in the open that are proving that those BS flags were there for a reason.

It really does not do our sport any good to have people in it just to make a buck. Nothing wrong with making a living but if your going to promote something for personal profit this controversial, you better be good at it. I am sure you would agree with that.

As far as Zumbo is concerned, I would have to blank out most of my comments to that guy so I will just leave it at those that think 350 yards is to far to shoot should not shoot past that range. And leave those of us that can consistantly and proficently well enough alone!!

Take care,

Kirby Allen(50)

Ric,

Not to Hijack the thread....but,

We pack into the Thorofare every year. We leave out of Cabin Creek trail head at the end of SF road. We hunt around Yellow Mountain, Valley and Bruin Creeks.

Lots of beatle kill timber now. Been going in there since 1986. Seen lots of changes.... to say the least.

Have you ever been down in that country ?

I appreciate the offer, but we got 16 head of our own horses and manage just fine, been going in for 20+ years.

You are right, it has changed a lot over the years.... We hunt way high and still see lots of folks in there...

So, you know Ron and Tim, I am sure. How about B Joe ?

thanks

used to go for 16 days and maybe see 2 or 3 others... Not any more...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.