John Burns-Best of the West- equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellows,

I'm loath to raise my head above the parapet in this world of keyboard bravery, but I think this post is 'wasted energy'..some like BDCs, some don't. Enough said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ric,

Given your apparent propensity to 'tune' other members of this site; I though I would provide you with a little friendly feedback, take it as you wish:

1. In several posts here and in other threads you have repetitively linked to this 'BDC Myth Exposed' site; I'm sorry but whoever produced that page is clearly 'holding on too tight' ..it is obsessive. As is your (over)vigorous defence (defense!)of your viewpoint. Please let it lie.

2. Your 'SPAM' point to 2 other LRH regulars could be considered rather arrogant and offensive.

...this is meant well, and by no means intended to initiate a 'keyboard duel' (well, you won't get one from me!) ......remember, the fact we're here makes it likely we'd all be friends over a pint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That's an improvement from LOS distance but significantly inferior to the McDonald/Almgren approach Sierra uses

[/ QUOTE ]

How far off am I?
Example of my method.

(This is asuming absolute dead calm mine shaft air conditions. Early morning 45 degrees at say 1000' actual elevation. Chance of rain but actual barometric pressure is unknown. I suppose I could check my weather radio before light and would be close but didn't.)

Line of sight as ranged with Bushnell Elite 1500 with ARC.
561 yards.
Down hill 37 degrees. My Casio fx-260 solar tells my the cosine mutiplier is .79863551 so I multiply that times 561 and get the corrected distance of 448 yards. My closest mark on my dial is right at 450 yards. That is then what I spin my Kenton calibrated knob too. I am only moving the correction 148 yards from my confirmed zero. For an Elk, on a perfect broadside double lung type shot I hold just below exact dead center between the top of the back and the bottom of the chest right in the crease behind the shoulder, how far off is my corection from the McDonald/Almgren approach? Am I going to blow a leg off or crease it's back?

[ QUOTE ]
For the point blank ranges (sub long range, less than 800 yards) - who needs to count more than 2 clicks with the NP-R2 reticle ? For true long range ( 1K to 1.5K yards ) at most I have to count 4 clicks

[/ QUOTE ]
To use that reticle how do you keep track of what line goes with what distance? That brings me back to using a correction chart or a field balistic program of some sort. I have my gear down to a rangefinder, the calc and my rifle and I feel really prepared for up to 700 yards. Do I have a false sense of security here? What all do you need to make your reticle work?

For me long range begins beyond 300 yards as that is when I have to start doing some corrections to remain on a 6" target. How do you come by the definition that anything under 800 yards is not long range? How far out do you feel comfortable with shooting game?

We have been using Bushnell. Elite1500/with arc
bsh_arc_p2_03.jpg

and though it has excellent optics it really doesn't read much past 700 yards in our enviroment. We get 1000 out of it once in awhile on wet fir trees but if they are dry it is no better than my old 800 compact. For long range bombing steel targets we need something better. the Swarovski looks like it may work for us. I need to practice these longer ranges to extend my comfort zone. I want to get really proficient to 800 yards. That's a fair shot for a lightly tuned Accumark in 300Wby.

We practice where we hunt. Here is one of our gongs.
10008112kz.jpg

I'm all ears. I like to learn all I can on the subject.
Thanks
Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.