JLK's in 6.5x284

BML

I recently purchased a Savage rifle in 6.5x284. I am working on developing a good load but think I may have an overbore issue. I plan on using this rifle strictly as a hunting rifle. While I don't intend it to be strictly a long range gun, I am developing my load to perform at long ranges in case that shot presents itself.

Let me preface by saying I am pretty new to reloading. I have a good "veteran reloader" friend taking me under his wing so I can learn properly. Hopefully I get all the terminology correct here!

After extensive research my friend suggested shooting the 140g JLK's. I'm sure there are several shooters out there shooting them and wanted to get there data on how close the lands their loads are. I understand every rifle is different as well.

Here's why I ask. I don't remember the name of the tool, but we measured the throat to be 3.24 to the lands. Assuming I don't seat the bullet in less than the diameter of the bullet itself, the safest length I can load the JLK's is 3.16. So far everything I have read is that the JLK's like to be up against the lands, if not a little more and I am off .08.

First 4 loads I tested were 48g, 49g, 50g and 52g. OAL on all was 3.16. I used RL-17, Federal 210 primers and Norma brass. Best load was 48g and shot .666 (3 shots).

After that I loaded 47.5g, 48g and 48.5g. I shot those yesterday in nearly exactly the same shooting conditions as the first set. Results were not so good. Best overall group was 47.5g at a little over an inch. First two shots on the 48.5g were touching but the third shot was over 3 inches right. No idea why the flier.

I will still continue to try new loads and also go back and shoot the same loads again just to be sure, but I am wondering how much of the issue could be the seating depth?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
A couple of things that may or may not help....

(I know nothing about the JLK. I am shooting 139 Lapua Scenars at .010" off the lands)

I have a Savage LRH in 6.5x284. The stock barrel was a copper eating machine. I bought the Tubb's system and used the whole kit. It took .020" out of the throat, but otherwise worked perfect. Just thought I would bring that up in case copper fouling is stealing your accuracy. (Not trying to insult your intelligence if you have already put the super scrub on)

Second, I noticed RE17 is fairly accurate and very fast in mine, but also had some wild ES numbers, (67 to 139 fps), and the barrel heated VERY quickly. Best 3 shot group was .603" and best 5 shot was .740". Worst was 1.978". The good three shot group averaged 2997 fps (50 grains).

I tried some H4831SC and although the velocity dropped to 2844 (@ 51 grains), the ES was 12 fps and the best 3 shot group was .269, worst was .686 (5 shots).

Might just try switching powders real quick if you haven't already and see what happens.

Either way, I wouldn't guess seating depth would work good one day and blow it up the next. Could be wrong though.

I suggest you barely seat a bullet in a sized case and use the bolt to push it back in the case with the bolt against the lands, the throat shouldn't be that long. If you do that and have atleast .125" of bearing surface in the neck your fine, also try 48-50grns of Imr4350, also as mentioned keep an eye on the copper and carbon fouling.

pm me.. I have been working up loads for a coupe months now for the 6.5x284... got some really goodnumbers.. hitting targets at 1000

I suggest you barely seat a bullet in a sized case and use the bolt to push it back in the case with the bolt against the lands, the throat shouldn't be that long. If you do that and have atleast .125" of bearing surface in the neck your fine, also try 48-50grns of Imr4350, also as mentioned keep an eye on the copper and carbon fouling.

Can you please explain what you mean by having .125" of bearing surface in the neck? I think I understand, but just want to make sure.

I will re-measure the throat again just to make sure I didn't make a mistake initially. Also, I want to try to a few more things before I give up on the powder. I don't really want to just jump around trying different "ingredients" before I can truly say that I have proven one to be inferior to the other. I want to do as much testing as I can before I switch.

Thank you all for the tips so far. I appreciate it.

Take a new or fired case, size it, shallowly seat the bullet in (just enough that it won't come out) don't prime or charge the case, then put it up in the chamber and push it all the way in with the bolt, after you get it out if you have .125"s of the bullets bearing surface left in the case neck you can use that as a starting point for your seating depth.

Take a new or fired case, size it, shallowly seat the bullet in (just enough that it won't come out) don't prime or charge the case, then put it up in the chamber and push it all the way in with the bolt, after you get it out if you have .125"s of the bullets bearing surface left in the case neck you can use that as a starting point for your seating depth.

That's what I thought you meant but I was under the impression that the safest minimum seating distance would equal the diameter of the bullet and no less. .125 is ok? If that's the case then I should be easily be able to achieve an OAL that is right to the lands.

I'm not sure sure if I'm confusing you or not but the bearing surface is the part between the boattail and the ogive that is .264" in diameter, you need atleast a .100" of that in the case neck but preferably .125-.150", is better, that gives you more room to chase the throat in as it erodes.

I'm not sure sure if I'm confusing you or not but the bearing surface is the part between the boattail and the ogive that is .264" in diameter, you need atleast a .100" of that in the case neck but preferably .125-.150", is better, that gives you more room to chase the throat in as it erodes.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts