JLK .22 52gr LD bullet

COBrad

These were mentioned on an earlier thread, so I ordered a hundred to try in my Cooper 22-250. Shooting 50 gr. Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra varmint bullets -.005 from lands in front of 38.7 gr. H380 my gun shoots consistent mid .3's 3-shot groups. Seated .001 into the lands, the JLK's shot the same. Seated -.005 off the lands they shot in the mid .2's. I called back and ordered 500. I have a chrono coming, and will report back with speed and more test groups. So far they look good. Mr. JLK tells me the BC is .302. I'm hoping to shoot to 500 yds and beyond with this load.

Hey Mr. Aspen-- how's the skiin' up there?? Glad to hear you liked them-- tell him Steve Hugel sent you please. Oh yeah-- keep the info. coming.

Hello Mr Coyote, the skiing's great! I spent a couple of days last week enjoying the views and skiing Highlands Bowl. I did tell JLK I heard about the bullets on this site. Tim I haven't hunted with them yet, I just fired a few groups today to try get a feel for how they might shoot. My wife and I are headed to Moab (Utah) tomorrow for some mtn. biking. She surprised me when she suggested I should bring my rifle so I could try it long range. I'm going to try get some shooting in at 5-600 yds., and pop a prairie poodle to see how they work.

Just ran the ballistics on those bullets-- turns out you ought to be able to realize about a 100+ yd. gain (with the same external ballistics) over the std. 55's.

Utah was cool-50's and 60's. I didn't get a chance to shoot until sunday morning, and at daybreak it was blowing around 5 mph, with some gusting. My hold was 12" into the wind. After a couple of sighters on a dirt clod, I shot a 3-shot group of 1.76 that was 1.66 on the horizontal plane and .55 verticle. second group was 2.77, 2.77 horizontal, .81 verticle, and a third group was 6.16, 6.16 horizontal, 1.54 verticle. At this point, about 7:30 am, the wind was blowing too much for testing, so I packed it up. All shooting was at 481 yds. I chrono'ed a few groups this A.M. Shooting 38.7 gr. H380 from a 24" bl. av. velocity is about 3525. My first group was a .13-three shot at 100 yds. After 20 minutes sitting and admiring an 1877 .500 Nitro, and an 1850 .54 cal muzzleloader the guy next to me was shooting, I resumed shooting. My ammo had been sitting in direct sunlight, and now speeds averaged slightly more than 100 fps faster. My next three groups were .55, .319, and .518. I'm not sure how much my shooting form affects these groups, except to say that this rifle shoots well enough to really reveal the flaws in my technique. I am learning a lot. In all, this mornings Ag. was .379, which is in keeping with the average over several hundred shots. I never had a chance to test performance on a prairie dog. Before leaving I checked with the UT division of wildlife and was surprised to find that they now protect the white-tailed PD's from April 1 through June 15, during their "reproductive cycle" due to a serious decline in their numbers. I only saw three or four 'dogs the entire time.

Superb Aspen-- except for the pr. dog part, that is. Got a buddy on Predatormasters.com that's shot some long-nosed high BC 53 gr. bullets similar to the JLK's-- says he liked them except the terminal ballistics were disappointing.? Keep us posted. This endeavor of yours seems to be something new here-- i've never seen any LR reports from a std. twist 22 cal. centerfire yet, besides Quinton Wagoner's 220 Swift with 55 gr. Ballistic Tips-- he appears to have gotten good results out to 600+ with that 55 on coyotes.

[ 03-30-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Have been out testing this bullet at 650 yds this weekend. 6/11: 40 degrees, elevation 9500' slightly shifty air currents, 1-2 mph. 3 sighters 3.75". Remaining groups 5-shot. Group 1: 7" centered over bull. Group 2: 6 5/8 with 1 off paper, 10" left. 6/12: Similar conditions, 50 degrees. Group 1: 4 7/16, 3.5" left. Group 3: 5.5, 10" right. Group 2: 50 gr Nosler B-Tip for comparison. 5 9/16 centered but 2.1 MOA low. 6/13: 60 degrees, calm air conditions. Group 1: 3.34" Group 2: 2.45". all shots centered 1.25-2.5" rt of center. In calm conditions the bullets were as accurate as I can shoot, probably more so as my 14x scope was not quite enough magnification for best shooting at this range. All it took was a slight air current to blow these bullets around at this range. At what range are they really useful? In a shifty 5 mph wind, shooting at 450 yds a few weeks ago they were still pretty deadly if I watched the wind. I've shot them at 500 yds in a fairly steady 10 mph wind with good results, but I would guess that it is probably not going to be much over 500 before wind is going to make any sort of consistency difficult unless it is pretty calm and steady. I can see that more research is needed. Now, where is that well populated and seldom shot-over PD town?
grin.gif

[ 06-15-2004: Message edited by: COBrad ]

Sounds interesting. I wonder how they'd stack up aggregate wise at long-range against those 50's. Actually, they should beat the 55's. I'd like to see how the 65's would fair out of a 10 twist .223 WSSM-- MAN what a coyote load that oughtta be.

[ 06-17-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

[ 06-17-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.