Jim Zumbo's article against Long Range Hunting

Sig220

Jim Zumbo\'s article against Long Range Hunting

I was referred to Outdoor Life's web page where Jim Zumbo has several basically antigun blogs posted. Here is what is has to say on Long Range Hunting:

Long range shooting
While at the SHOT Show recently, I ran into a guy who complained that too many hunters were taking excessively long shots. He's an outfitter, and witnessed plenty of people shooting at elk at distances greater than 350 yards. He suggested that that was too far, primary because the majority of those hunters had no clue of ballistics. Most were "Hail Mary" shots. I agree. We read about people making 500 yard shots and more, and that, to me, is ridiculous.

Then at the SCI convention last week, I talked to a guy who bragged that his custom gun kills deer out at 800 yards and better. To each his own, I suppose, but that isn't hunting. It's shooting. And I don't care how great a marksman you are. The risk of wounding an animal at extremely long ranges is high, and where's the sportsmanship, the ethics, the satisfaction of taking outrageously long shots? I understand there's a group in PA that shoots deer at 1,000 yards and more. More power to them. Just don't ask me to support that kind of "hunting."

Also check out his post on "Assault Rifles for Hunting?"
Thought some here might like to respond, so here is the web site:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/long_range_shoo.html

Re: Jim Zumbo\'s article against Long Range Hunting

fine,so he expressed his opinion!its people like john burns who he is referring to! he's selling it and promoting it. i hear my neighbours talking about it.

get a BDC!!! he held on the 3rd line,shot,it went down,cool. with ZERO,understanding of what he just did.they are giving us the bad name!

Well, lets see.......this guy's opinion is widely spread via both writing and video. He states in one blog that he is for the BANNING of certain types of firearms (assault weapons) because using them, is not hunting. Then he states long range hunting is NOT....its long range shooting.

If he will sell out ANY one in the firearms community, he is a SELL OUT to the antigun groups. He should NOT be a voice supported by the firearms industry. United we Stand, divided we fall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Interesting comments being posted, such uninlightened minds. I put up one that will stick in there craw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I emailed all these folks about their association with him, I'm sure remington is about to drop him,got a reply from the ceo, he even hunts with an AR
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

feel free to copy this list and express your feelings
JS

I have finally risen more towards where I have always wanted to be in the universe of hunting and shooting. I'm proud to be able to say, "Who in the hell is Jim Zumbo?" I have no idea of who he is or what he does. I went to the article link and if he's the the fella w/the fuzzy lip and the curled up hat trying to look like a shooting dignitary, those kind are poured out of a standard mould. The only guys that wore hats that I trusted were O'Connor and Keith... The only thing I was concerned about with Elmer was his "stong" dislike for Golden Eagles. But they did and do take lambs and kids.....So I cut him some slack.

Additionally one of the favorite varmint rifles around this house is an SL-8 w/a Zeiss 3X9. It sure beats a bolt if you need a second shot on a yote during a walk & stalk hunt.

The Jim Zumbo controversy is really taking off on websites of all kinds. It's one thing for Zumbo to bash long range hunting. It's another thing altogether for him to call for more government intervention in hunting and the banning of rifles he doesn't like. Here is the email I sent today. I sent this and several similar emails to all of his sponsors.

Dear Remington and Mr. Jim Zumbo:

I am writing about the recent blog entry that Mr. Zumbo wrote entitled, "Assault Rifles For Hunters?" Please see: http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60817318 Mr. Zumbo is sponsored by Remington and specifically names Mr. Eddie Stevenson and Mr. Greg Dennison in his blog entry where he refers to AR-15 style rifles as "terrorist rifles" and decries their use in hunting. The Remington ad which says, "This is Remington Country," appears directly above Mr. Zumbo's blog entry.

I am writing as an avid hunter who grew up on a working ranch in the Big Bend area of Texas. I am currently employed as a full time police officer for a large municipal police department in a major city in Texas. I have worked in Patrol for 11 years and on SWAT for 8 years. I am also a Patrol Rifle instructor and a Precision Rifle instructor. As part of my duties at my department, I train my fellow police officers how to shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns, submachine guns, and precision rifles. Finally, I am also a fairly successful competitive shooter in USPSA and 3-Gun Matches. I use Remington rifles exclusively for my precision and hunting rifle needs.

Mr. Zumbo, your characterization of the AR-15, AK-47 and those who use them is flat wrong, sir, and you have done a great disservice to thousands of legitimate and ethical hunters as well as hundreds of thousands of police officers, soldiers, and citizens.

The AR-15 platform is being used by many ethical hunters for the legal taking of game from rockchucks to elk. There are many different calibers available for this system ranging from the .223 all the way through .308, very powerful .30 caliber cartridges, and .50 Beowulf. I have personally used an AR-15 for the hunting of feral hogs and it worked quite well.

The SKS and AK-47 type of rifles are regularly used by honest, ethical hunters for hunting whitetails, hogs, and other medium game. I have also used one of these rifles for hunting.

The funny thing, Mr. Zumbo, is that I never thought of myself as a terrorist and I never once considered that I was using a "terrorist rifle." I and many of my friends and colleagues have used military-style, magazine fed rifles during the discharge of our official duties as police officers and soldiers. Many of these same men have used similar rifles for the legal taking of game. All of us continue to train and stand ready to fight terrorists right here in the United States with those same rifles that you mention in your blog.

Those who would outlaw hunting and disarm the American people already have their sights set on bolt action rifles. Their efforts will not stop at banning the .50 BMG or so-called "sniper rifles." The elk hunter's .300 Win Mag is perfectly able to be used by any terrorist. As you know, there are plenty of hunting rifles that can send a projectile through body armor at more than 1/2 mile away. I'll bet that some of your own elk rifles will do that and more. Yet I would never, ever, believe that your rifle is a "terrorist rifle" despite the fact that terrorists are in fact using bolt action rifles against our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. Personally, I am eagerly awaiting the release of Remington's new .338 Lapua which I intend to purchase and use for extreme long range shooting. The same people who would ban the AR-15 and AK-47 will certainly want to ban this rifle because of the cartridge's extreme performance and military origins. To be sure, this would not be a good thing for Remington.

What concerns me most about your article is not the overt ignorance you display but rather the fact that your rhetoric is exactly what anti-hunters and anti-gun types will use to support their own causes. They love it when "legitimate" hunters decry the use of semi-automatic rifles and they positively squeal with delight when someone with your credentials supports any kind of government control or banning of such rifles. These same people will also one day seek to ban the "sniper rifles" that your yourself currently possess in your "arsenal," Mr. Zumbo

Mr. Zumbo, I once had a great deal of respect for you and even read your book(s) when I first started elk hunting. I also had a subscription to Outdoor Life magazine which I allowed to lapse but I was intending to renew it. I will not purchase any of your books in the future nor will I watch your T.V. show. I will not renew my subscription to Outdoor Life until you are removed from the staff of that magazine or until your apology to all gun owners, police officers, soldiers, and hunters (specifically those of us who regularly use AR-15's and other semi-automatic rifles for legal and ethical purposes) is printed in both the magazine and online.

Since writing the paragraphs above, I have spoken to Mr. Zumbo on the phone about this issue and he stated that he intends to issue a formal apology for his blog entry. During our telephone conversation, he said, "I had no idea how many people use AR-15's for hunting." He said that Ted Nugent had just called to invite him to his ranch here in Texas to hunt with an AR-15. Mr. Zumbo did issue a verbal apology to me on the phone. Still, what concerns me is that he seems more worried about the public backlash and the fact that he was caught in a major mistake. I am not convinced that he has suddenly changed his opinion. I am nowhere near as accomplished a hunter as Mr. Zumbo and yet I knew quite a bit about the use of both the AR and AK platforms for legitimate, legal hunting. How is it that a man of Mr. Zumbo's experience and reputation did not also know this? I believe that what we saw on his blog was his true opinion and his true feelings on AR's and AK's. It is my firm belief that his apologies will be based only on his fear of losing his existing contracts, sponsorships, and assignments. The damage has been done. As one of my close friends who is a sponsored competitive shooter just told me on the phone, "That's just like that politician who got caught using the 'N word' telling everyone he didn't really mean it."

Remington produces some of the finest rifles in the world. I have used my Remington 700's for SWAT sniper activities, hunting, and F-Class matches. When I purchased my last two rifles, I had to choose between a Sako, Winchester, Accuracy International or Remington 700. I went with Remington out of a sense of loyalty and because the Remington 700 was a "known quantity" that I could work with and customize for my hunting and tactical needs. Remington is employing a man who has just openly trashed my rights as a private citizen, my ethical choice of rifles for hog hunting, and my choice of duty rifle as a police officer. If Remington persists in employing this man, I cannot say how much further my loyalty will carry me. As a precision rifle shooter and instructor, I cannot help but point out that there are many other manufacturers of precision bolt action rifles out there who can serve my needs without denigrating me and thousands of other shooters. I sincerely hope that Remington will do the right thing in this matter.

Sincerely yours,
Douglas Deaton

I hope Mr. Zumbo was ready to retire, because he won't be working for anyone in the shooting sports industry ever again.

All I can say Doug is WOW!!!! That was well written. I hope I never tick you off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I agree totally that he will appologize just to save his precious sponsors. Life would be really rough not getting all that free stuff handed to you. I think he thinks to highly of himself. It seems that when people get in positions like that where people tell you how great you are all day and give you their stuff to sponsor it goes to their head. He must think if you do it like me your ok and if not your all wrong. WOW!!! I just realized,... He sounds like Saddam Hussein,....Maybe he's the terrorist after all. I hope this doesn't get into the hands of the anti's, which it probablly allready has. Thanks JIMBO for the great job you are doing. I wont be watching his shows anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

here is his new hunting ad guys.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And his headstone at the Cody Wyoming cemetary

475125.jpg
[/url]

475137.jpg
[/url]

well I could let alot of it slide except the fact that the only organization that uses the AR-15/M16 platform is the armed forces of the united states, and he called it a terrorist's gun! call me anything you like, but the folks who defend our constitution, terrorists? com'on kinda sad isn't it
JS

[ QUOTE ]
well I could let alot of it slide except the fact that the only organization that uses the AR-15/M16 platform is the armed forces of the united states, and he called it a terrorist's gun!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is where I quit reading. The man has no good sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.