Jewell trigger on a Sako L579

zoeper

I want to install a Jewell trigger on a Sako L579 based rifle, but Jewell does not have a trigger for this Sako. Has anyone here ever adapted this action/ trigger combo to make it work?
What model trigger should i get and how is the modification done?

Any suggestions welcome.

The factory trigger on the old 579s will fit a standard 98 Mauser also. So--if Jewell makes one for a Mauser 98 it might [should] work. You might want to look into a Kepplinger. They are nice but maybe not for your use.
Aloha, Mark

I want to install a Jewell trigger on a Sako L579 based rifle, but Jewell does not have a trigger for this Sako. Has anyone here ever adapted this action/ trigger combo to make it work?

Any suggestions welcome.
Yes !!!
Start by altering the Jewell to the style of the Finnfire trigger which Jewell marketed for a period. ie square up the front & redrill the falling sear & side plates.
Then the action has to be milled out...without cutting too deep into the bolt raceway in the rear receiver ring. A cross pin hole is drilled very close to the threaded hole for the bolt stop retaining plate & the trigger is held in pace by a "jack- piece" rotating around the original front trigger mounting pin.
The Jewell itself needs both the top of the sideplates & the falling sear reprofiling to allow bolt travel.
It is demandingly exact & very easy to screw up this job !!!!
I have photo's & am willing to discuss as I have both a L461 & a L579 set up with Jewell triggers.

Thank you Scubbird,
I would be most interested to see a picture of your modified action and trigger.
Do you know what model of jewell you started off with?
you can mail me at gokinetix-at-telkomsa-dot-net.
I have a milling machine and should be able to do the required work.
regards
p

Any suggestions welcome.

There is nothing like a Jewell trigger but you might look at the Timney.

There are other brands that will make a Sako specific trigger that will work without
any modifications.

Scrubird is right. It would be a very delicate piece of surgery on a very expensive trigger
and may not turn out like you want.

I am all about "do it your self" but this is a little risky and if there are other options I
would try them first.

I use a lot of Timneys on the Weatherby MK 5s and have been pleased with them.

The idea about the Mauser trigger sounds interesting but I would have to check it out
before buying a $250.00 trigger, a Timney is half of that and if it would fit you would
have a good starting point.

The reason for my caution is that the trigger is the most delicate and dangerous part
of a rifle especially if it is not near perfect.

Use caution when modifying or working on triggers !!

Just an opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you JE, i appreciate your caution regarding trigger work and I will not take any chances if i do go ahead with any modification. A friend just installed a timney on a L579 and he also had to do some (minor) mods to get the trigger to fit. Sounds happy with the results though.
P

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.