Jewell trigger issues!!!

5Redman8

Here is a link to what I posted today on the VVGC board....I cannot log in here because of Firewall but can there......

http://www.varminthunters.com/cgi-bin/an...;aO=1&iWz=0

The converstaion has gotten interesting, because there are 2 other guys having the same issue? What gives?

For those too lazy to try the link....my HVR Jewell trigger has creep and I called Jewell and they said 20-40thousandths creep is normal for a 1-3lb setting for their triggers. I am amazed!!!! My Shilen feels better right now but I have not tried the all of the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifA B and C springs.

Kyle

I have 3 rifles with Jewell triggers and they are all awesome. I just purchased and installed a fourth on my 300 Win Mag 1000yd bench rifle. It doesn't have any creep but it has a small amount of take up, almost like a two stage trigger. None of my other Jewell triggers have this take up, I wonder if some bad triggers made their way past quality control?
Wayne aka WAMBO

Wayne,

My thoughts exactly about quality control. It is just a spongy feeling....resistance....then break. I have no other Jewell to compare to but the tech I talked to said it was normal to have 20-40 thousandths of "take-up" prior to breaking.

I changed the springs and got it to feeling GREAT with the 2-3oz spring....not exactly a hunting weight!!!!

Put in spring B and it feels OKAY...ho hum....but I left it in there because the 1lb-3lb was TERRIBLE.

Will see how it feels for a day at the range. If not impressed, back on with the Shilen. If the Safety is not on and turned off, it feels GREAT at 1.5lb.

Hate it when you think you are upgrading and things [censored] in your face!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kyle
[email protected]

At least yours will still fire!Mine died, had it on a .223 700 rem but from what I have heard you can't get them dirty and still have function? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Always had good luck with Jewell triggers for paper shooting but I have several Canjar triggers for hunting big game or varmints not sure they still make them but they are smooth and go from 1-2 pounds to 4oz when set.

I have had the same problem with the Jewell on a custom .300 Mod 70.I put up with it for four years and three gunsmiths could not get it set right.I could get no help from the factory over the telephone,but they offered me the option of sending it back for evaluation.I just lucked in to a 'smith that was not to busy one day and he told me to come.I drove 120 miles one way and got lucky.He apparantly knew what my problem was before I told him.In about 5 minutes he had it adjusted to 13/4 lbs.with all but the very slighest creep.Not really noticible unless you are really concentrating and trying to notice it.The trigger now has no discernable creep and just enough overtravel.Feels like a 1/2 lbs. trigger.Thanks to a knowledgeable gunsmith.He will get my business in the future.I will be happy to provide a name should anyone care.
Jim

are any of you fellas using the jewell triggers trying to work around remington's fomous "J LOCK" ? i know one said he was using it on a mod 70 . just the otherday i adjusted a friends new m700 w/j lock , if you don't apply the safety the trigger pull is great but when you put the safety on then off it's full of creep , almost like it is full of oil.

Mine has had the J-lock removed and the striker assembly was replaced with a Tubbs....I think? But it was replaced.

Kyle

I also have a Jewell installed on a Remington 700 LSS. There does seem to be a fair amount of take up. I wonder if this is due to the adjustment of the sear engagement? The directions say to screw in the sear screw until the pin fires, and then back it out 3/4 of a turn. I called the Jewell factory, and they said you could back it out less than this. How did the gunsmith "fix" this problem BTW?

I'm one of the guys that reported the same problem when this was posted over on the GGVG board.

My spongy HVR is on a Nesika T. So, no J lock issue or anything like that. I've got several other HVR's (with safeties), on both Nesika's and 700's, they are all just fine. It's only this one I most recently bought.

I did reduce the sear engagement, which obviously reduced the creep. But, it's still kind of spongy, certainly not anything like breaking glass, and I'm really not comfortable with that little sear on a hunting rifle anyway.

Have not had time to really mess with it, let alone call Brian. So I'm not stressing over it much, yet. Figure it will get sorted out one way or another. If nothing else, I'll let my 'smith deal with it when I have him fit barrels to that action in a couple months.

It does kind of bite to buy the best, and have it not live up to expectation right out of the gate. It does happen with fair regularity though, unfortunately.

- DAA

Jewels have to be adjusted to each individual rifle. I think you'll find it works well somewhere between 1/2 turn and 5/8 turn. It takes a little time to get it adjusted right, turn the screw in small incraments. Either drop the rifle on it's butt from waiste high, or give it a smack with a rubber mallet (don't try and beat the cr&p out of it) with the scope removed to test it. After a little trigger time it will get smoother, you won't feel the take-up

have one in my sendero w/jlock ordered directly from jewell requested it set to 18oz with no creep before breaking. installed the trigger myself had more creep then i would of liked to see called jewell, tech walked me through adjusting the trigger. a little less sear engagement creep was gone

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.