Jeweler's rouge

tdv75098

Jeweler\'s rouge

I overheard a conversation in a gunshop recently about dipping a bullet into jewelers rouge and then firing it to break in new barrels and smooth old one's. Has anyone done this and do you recommend it? Please include instructions

Re: Jeweler\'s rouge

TomVan,

For new top end true Match grade barrels I certainly do not recommend using any abrasive compound in the bore.

Simply shooting, cleaning, shooting and cleaning will smooth up a barrel in very short order if it is a quality barrel.

With the Lilja barrels I use most, it generally takes 8 to 12 rounds with cleaning between to polish up the bore and once the barrel smooths up, the copper fouling stops almost instantly.

As far as lower grade barrels, factory barrels and old barrels. I recommend the "Final Finish" system which is a packaged deal with bullets coated with varying grits of abrasive compound to polish up rough or old throats and bores. Simply load and shoot.

Jewelers rouge seems like you could get compound in the action which would be bad over time.

Again if you are using top quality barrels, I would never do this or anything like it!

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts