Jerry Teo, 220 SMK in 12 twist report. All in the name of science!

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Jerry,

I loaded some 220 grain SMK's today and went to the range to test them out. I used 90 grains of H50BMG. I use this powder due to the extreemly high pressures my rifle generates. I didnt get a chance to run them though the chrony, but at 300 yards they delivered perfect round holes through the target. It appears that they are stable at least at that range. Its hard for me to get to 600 or 1000 yards until things completley freeze up around here. They were also fairly accurate. Having not used various powder charges 2 three shot groups held sub MOA groups. I would be interested to see if they would get any better with less or more powder. My guess is that they were around 2800 FPS.

I am not too suprised that they shot good due to the fact that they are the same length as the 200 ACCUBOND which shoot just fine out of my rig. I have shot the 200 AB out to 650 yards with out any problems. I am sure that the 220 SMK will make 600 to 1K with the 12 twist. Probably not the best twist but should work ok.

Hope that helps some.

Muchly appreciated. Will have to look into a 300Wby project barrel for my Savage actions. I have been looking at the ER Shaw barrels for some time. Reports have been positive and the price is enticing.

They will need a bit of TLC as they are unlapped. A few minutes with some polish and it should lap up just fine.

If they don't take forever to deliver, might have something to say in a few months. We shall see.

Jerry

I just ordered another Lilja bbl for the 300 RUM and suspect it will take about 4 months to get. I am going to give a carbon wrapped bbl a try. Only because I do so much high country back pack hunting. Havent tried one yet but will try anything once. I would just get a Cristiensen bbl but I dont like Shilen bbl's and thats all they use. Besides my stock is set up for the NBRSA-HV contour so I need to keep that the same. The smith I use claims when he sends them a bbl to convert, they come back with the same contour as they left. I have been more than pleased with the 12 twist so I am going to stick with that as I dont want to shoot any bullets any longer than I already have.

The rifle my smith put together is an awesome rig. The largest groups I have seen out of it is about a minute of angle and those are very rare. Probably more me than the rifle. The very 1st 2 groups out of that rifle shot .232" and .234"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif At 100 yards (three shot) that is.

Let me know how the 300 wby turnes out.

A light 300RUM launching 200 to 220gr bullets. OUCH.

My 300Wby would be quite heavy and have a mondo muzzle brake. Me no like big recoil.

The rifle sounds great. Post pics when it is built.

Jerry

Please understand me no like recoil either!!! There will be a brake employed on this lighter version as well as mostly I will be using the 178 AMAX from that set up. Hopefully it wont kick that bad?????

I did have fairly light 30-378 wby that I shot 200's out of with a brake and it was VERY comfortable to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.