Javelina vs.223

firstcoueswas80

this really doesnt have that much to do with long range but it is hunting. i have a ruger .223 that i want to carry for my javelina hunt. i have some 60 gr. Vmax made by Black Hills that i plan on using. i really dont plan on shooting past 200-250 with this load, should this work find for a pig? thanks!

I think they would with proper shot placement.
I know first hand a 50 NBT out of a 22-250 will do good at 200.
Hopefully will see it again this weekend if my wife connects with one of those mean little piggies.
I'm taking a 223 filled with 69 SMK's and would like to find out what they do out to 300. Thats only if I'm not sneaky enough to get within 40 yds to use the 357 sig handgun.
Good luck!
Hope to see some excelent reports!

I'd be suspicous of the Vmax. Can't say from experience but I've heard that they are pretty soft bullets. I've shot pigs with a 223 with the old Nosler solid base 55 grain, and my brother has shot them with the 53 gr Barnes triple shock and they both did very well. I see that Nosler has a 60 grain partition now and I'd give that a try and see if it shoots well. Don't know if a 14" twist would handle it but it'd be worth the try. I've got great faith in Partitions in guns that shoot them well.

Good luck on your pig hunt.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but heres some info.
Happy to report all went as planned.

1: My wife's Javelina at 220 yds, bang flop, 22-250 55gr v-max at 3460fps. Entered high shoulder 1.5" exit behind off-side ear.

2: My dad's at 245 yds, bang cartwheel flop, 243WSSM 100gr power point factory, entered 2" behind shoulder (running shot) 1" exit opposite side.

3:My bro-in-law's at 276 yds, traveled about 20 yds after hit and fell over, 22-250 50gr v-max factory, classic heart shot, no exit most internals pulverized (stunk too bad to really study the effects)
All three above kills happened within 30 seconds on the same group of 18 javelina. FUN FUN!

4: Mine (the next morning cause I was trying to videotape the rest of the familys kills earlier) at 145 yds, bang flop, 223 69 SMK at 2825 fps, High shoulder shot, 22 caliber hole through on-side shoulderblade, 1"exit through back side shoulder blade.

The whole family could have tagged out the first morning we were there if I would have carried the rifle instead of the vid camera. Turns out the only kill on camera was mine, wish I could have gotten all of em, but they started shooting before the film was rolling!

As for the v-max and SMK performance was excellent at short range. These critters are about as hard to kill as a Coyote and about the same size, ~35 lbs. They are not armored like feral hogs. Totally diferent than hogs.
Pics coming as soon as I can get them uploaded.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.