jag broken in bolt housing

johnnybruch

Well its a banner day here in Arizona, My son just broke a plastic jag and patch off inside the disassembled bolt body of my rem 700! Its in there good and is not gonna come out. Ive thought of trying to melt it ( either with heat or by chemical) Looks like we might be looking at a new bolt and the associated gunsmith fees to lap and space a new bolt. This can't be the first time in history this has happened, I'm wondering how much this lesson is gonna cost him.!! So any body know a good gunsmith here in south Arizona?

Last edited:
would acetone or some other solvent melt/soften the broken jag plastic enough to make the diameter of the jag and patch smaller so it would just come out? Could i put the bolt housing in the oven upside down and hope the plastic melts that way??? Any ideas???

all the way in- it has a patch wrapped around it - thats what makes it so tight. It will slide (if pushed) back and forth but won't come out past the threads of the bolt. I tried needle nose pliers and twisted hopng the patch woule "thread" its way out but no such luck-- she's a stuck!

If it is moving there is plenty hope. I suggest you seek a long 1/8th drill bit. Carefully drill it as close to center as possible. Then buy a long screw a little larger than 1/8th dia. Then screw it in and pull it out.

Jeff

Keep the boy along side for the repair. He will learn tons from this. I have done much worse and was probably old enough to know better.:)

I like Broz suggestion. I will add......use a self tapping sheet metal screw. Buy one size slightly larger than 1/8 in. as suggested and 1 slightly larger than that just in case. Be very sure to screw all the way to the bottom before you attempt extraction. You might want to spray or drip a small amount of penetrating oil like Blaster to help things move.
It sounds as if you really have a good chance of removal. Just go slow at each stage.
Oh yes it is a bannerr day herre in AZ if you like 100 degrees in April.

Good Luck!!

What was suggested may work or just use the drill bit to 'wrap up' in the patch itself and tease it out. If that don't work, and you can't get something drilled into the left-over jag, use the drill to mash that up, plug all the holes on the bolt body and use 100psi compressed air and try and blow it out from the firing pin hole.

put the bolt in the oven at 300 and pull the jag out like stretch armstrong, with a needle nose. Don't burn-up ma's good oven mitts either!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.