I've got a choice: new scope or new rangefinder?

hoytaddict

I'm currently shooting a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 and have a leupold rx-750. I have the finds to get a new scope or a new rangefinder. I'm just not sure which would be a better choice. The zeiss I feel does not have a repeatable zero and the leupold really lacks in ranging nonreflective targets. As far as rangefinders I really like the leica's, and scopes I'm thinking huskema or nightforce. What is you guys opinions?

I was originally going to say "you've got the scope already, just upgrade the rangefinder", but if your scope is not returning to zero reliably then it has a problem. I haven't heard this about Zeiss scopes before, and my Zeiss scope seems to hold zero just fine (but, it's not the target turret style and I don't crank the adjustments alot).

I guess, if it was my decision to make; I'd send the scope in (if you are certain it's the scope and not the load/gun/shooter/conditions/shooting position), and buy another scope to have for backup or use in the meantime.

Nearly everyone I've talked to has not been very impressed with the Leupold rangefinders ranging ablilty. So upgrading to a Leica is probably important at some point if you want to shoot much beyond 500 yds.

However, the scope will cause you way more grief than the rangefinder until that issue is resolved or replaced IMO. Depending on the size of your target; If it's returning to within a 1/4 or maybe even 1/2 minute, that's not really a big issue until you get out there a ways, but if it's returning to within only 1 minute, then that seems like a big problem that should be fixed asap.

I agree with Sbruce. Your Zeiss should be returning to zero. I have owned quite a few of the conquests and this is not normal for them. If you have it mounted in good rings and bases and all is well there, I would send it in. Then get you a RF that will suit your needs. I feel the Leicas are the best bang for the buck for distances in the 1000 to 1400yrd range depending on whether it is a CRF1200 ot CRF 1600.

Jeff

I haven't completely given up on the zeiss yet. It holds a zero just fine, but it seems to never return to zero after dialing, windage worse than elevation. Also it just made it back from Germany, the parallax was all messed up and had to be sent overseas to be repaired. So as for right now it looks like the rangefinder could be my best bet.

I'm with SBruce and Broz and Dave on this one.

I crank the squat out of my Zeiss Conquest had have no problem with either turret.

I'd send it in/back as this would seem most economical.s It is very unusual for your Zeiss to have that problem.

Keep in mind that I started shooting before scopes were popular and grew through their development. I still approach a setting from the bottom for all adjustments. That is when going up in range I click up to the setting. When clicking down to a range I go blow it then click up to the setting using at least 4 clicks. Weird I know but old things die hard.

We'll see if the Nightforce will break me of the habit.:rolleyes:

I agree with Broz regarding the range finder. Leica 1200 for sure and 1600 if you have the $. I like the foot print of the 1200 better than the 1600. But for ease of carry the 1600 is more convenient and definitely a better product.

Good luck on your decision.

I've had several Zeiss Conquest scopes, and they tracked very well. You have a good scope, but sounds like it needs to take a trip to Zeiss for remedial action. You can have one of their target turrets put on for $50 plus shipping, as well. You really need a new RF. I have a Leica 1200 I would sell for $400 if you are interested.

I agree with Sbruce. Your Zeiss should be returning to zero. I have owned quite a few of the conquests and this is not normal for them. If you have it mounted in good rings and bases and all is well there, I would send it in. Then get you a RF that will suit your needs. I feel the Leicas are the best bang for the buck for distances in the 1000 to 1400yrd range depending on whether it is a CRF1200 ot CRF 1600.

Jeff

What he said.

Get the scope fixed, and look at a Leica 1600.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.