It shoots!!!!!

coyotelite

So over the years I've had trouble getting my factory model 70 300wby mag to shoot. I've always shot 180gr hornady because that's what my uncles recommended. Tried different loads with different powders and never could get under an inch at 100yds. After a ton or research on this site about different things that affect accuracy I free floated the stock, torqued the action screws to spec, squared my scope rings and went with a 210gr vld and H1000. This was my first time shooting prone off of a bipod with a rear bag and the first real shooting session in a couple years. I started at 79gr and loaded 3 shot groups at 79, 79.5, 80 and 80.5. 80gr shot .38 at 100yds and 80.5 shot .83. For a bone stock rifle I am super happy!! I am confident that replacing the wood stock with an hs precision with a full bedding block will only improve things along with better optics. Can't wait to stretch it out a bit and see how she does.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 48
Looks like you are gettin it goin your way. Had one of those for years myself when I still lived in Canada. Kinda tough to bench rest in factory condition recoil wise aren't they?. I also shot 180 Hornadys in mine and never managed much less than 1".

Have you considered a Bobby Hart accublock laminated stock? I have one on my 7mag and there are going to be more in my future. Very pleased with it and love the looks.

Havnt researched stocks much. Went to midway and the B&C medalist and hs precision are in my price range. $375 is about all I will spend on a stock.

You could always ream that chamber to a .300 Ackley Magnum, which is simply a .300 Weatherby Ackley Improved. It pushes the walls out and the shoulder forward to a 40-degree angled shoulder instead of that rounded Weatherby/Venturi shoulder. The Ackley shoulder design is supposed to be better on brass life, too. You can even use your .300 Wby brass, and your .300 Wby neck sizer die to size the necks. I've been doing that for mine till I can get the money to have some custom dies made ($250-350). Kind of a temporary solition to an expensive problem. :D

.300 Wby (left) formed .300 Ackley (right)

6954B7FF-8550-4F6C-BA4D-17216351C9AF_zpsuwwmyn8f.jpg

F92BB631-1A74-4B1E-947B-35B35A8A734A_zpsjjrni2ua.jpg

I replaced the Wood Stock of my Model 70 with a H S Precision Stock on my .264 & Glass Bedded it & yes it does shoot better by one half inch at 300 yds yes it's a improvement but not much from before 2.88 now after restocking 2.43 inch groups at 300 yds. Would I do it again YES as I wanted a all weather rifle and I really like the H.S. Precision Stock because it fits me great. Good Hunting

I really like the 300wby. Now that I know it will shoot sub MOA I will just upgrade the stock and glass to improve the accuracy a bit more. That'll give me a solid 1/2-3/4 MOA big bore rifle. Now I just need to chrono it to see what speed I'm getting. I'm guessing it should be 2900-3000 with my 25" barrel.

What's the ballistic improvement with the AI over the. 300wby?

I'm still forming brass so I haven't had time to really start tinkering with the loads with my new Nosler brass. Now that I have some formed, I can do some load work next weekend or the next, depending on my schedule. I CAN tell you that the sharper shoulder angle created more case pressure so it should be slightly hotter than the .300 Wby.

If you are interested, I can keep you updated as I go along with it. It is not a very common caliber, so load data is non-existant, other than PO Ackley said to start out with .300 Wby load data to form and work up from there. So, it's definitely not an easy task, and it's proving to be a time consuming project. However, I feel the end result will be well-worth the pain and effort.

Once I get a good load developed for it, I will chrono it and let you know how fast it is pushing the 210 VLD's.

I figure if this thing is going to produce 1/2-3/4 MOA accuracy it will do everything that I as a shooter am capable of. That eases my mind over the troubles I've had with this rifle in the past. The information on this site made it possible. My next mission is a full custom 7stw or a 6.5x284 one if these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.