It Only Takes A Few Seconds... Please Help!

I contacted some people at various corporations trying to discover what the connection is. I have noticed several mergers with "me-too" companies, but there does NOT, at this time, seem to be any validity to Federal and Norma being in cahoots.

I did learn some other very interesting info . . . Federal makes Lake City stuff. Of course it is still made to mil-spec to handle their abuses, but should be and is top quality stuff.

Chronologically speaking, every major European CC (RWS, Lapua and Norma) have owned one another. There are no trade secrets between any of them. Since 1990 they have been swapping back and forth between munition companies. Interesting to me.

GG

My comment was not for "news", just a statement of fact. As Sewwhat?? says. This has been so since I bought my first box in 1969. However, this fact is obscure if you do not shoot a Wby. I was more commenting on the fact that Wby votes should be combined with norma when one analyzes the results.

I was also obliquely pointing to the people who checked that they would never use Wby brass. If they do not have a Wby I am sure they have no use for it. But is it still very fine brass and has been kicking butt at 1000 yds for decades.

[ QUOTE ]
I acually have been working on some Remington brass of a good lot and was surpised that it actually had more uniform pockets and case heads than the last 3 batches of Lapua AND Norma!

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked over about 100 cases of Rem and 300 cases of Norma about two months ago and here is what I found.

Flash holes - 80-90% of Rem too large, 99% of Norma too small. Too small is OK because you can then open it up to same size. I won't go into detail with the other stuff but it was much the same.

I guess this is why you were surprised with your results.

Agreed.
Didn't mean to insinuate that your news was bad or boring old news, just well known news in comparison to the Norma/Fed news.

I hope my REmmy brass for my new wildcat has good flash holes. I haven't gotten to them yet but I am anticipating some work there for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eaglet,

Good poll.

Had one comment on the last poll question. To correct answer as to what causes brass to fail is generally to do witht he rifle itself or loading techniques and not the brass.

If the rifle is set up correctly in headspace with a quality dimensioned chamber and the brass is neck sized or partially FL sized and comfortable pressures are used in the case. The first thing to go in the case will be the case neck splitting.

If the rounds are loaded to high levels, the primer pockets will be the first to go.

On the topic of Wby brass. Yes its well known it is Norma brass. It is also very good brass on average but tends to be a bit on the soft side compared to the Lapua, Winchester and Federal hulls.

The biggest problem with the Wby brass is generally, again, the rifle. OR better put, the chamber and throat design of the rifle.

Good poll!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby,

Our friend Ian M deserves the merits, he was trying to help me in getting some good info. It was a very good idea that's producing some awesome info. for many of us.
I always appreciate your input and ofcourse is very welcome. In spite of all, I sill messed up, my 14 years old caught it so fast when of course was too late for me to fix it. I won't tell you what it is... Please don't ask. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and Kirby, please don't tell anyone especially Ian M. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He'll probably shoot me from long range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif sewwhat89 has to be a good man, he had mercy on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Next time I'll have my son William (Billy) to check on me before I post... maybe...

Javier O Moncada

[ QUOTE ]
hope my REmmy brass for my new wildcat has good flash holes. I haven't gotten to them yet but I am anticipating some work there for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything you can do about it?

I don't mean to hijack the thread I would just be interested to learn what to do in this situation.

Cowboy,
In reloading many times due to hot loads or simply after reloading the same brass many times, we experience that the primer pocket gets enlarged and the new primers start fitting kind of loose. I'm able to feel it because I use a hand held Lee Auto-Prime tool.

Primer pocket enlargement is when the pocket gets so large that the primer will no longer stay in but falls out. What I do is any primer that seats too easily, I tap the case on the case edge sharpley two or three times on the table top to see if the primer will fall back out.

How do you get your primer pockets enlarged? By putting way too much powder in the case. When you go two or more grains over max you start getting very high pressures in the case There is no place for the pressure to go except out the barrel or back toward the bolt face. All of this extra pressure causes the primer pocket to get stretched to a larger diameter. With an enlarged primer pocket you can seat a primer wiith just your thumb and then tap it out again on the table top.

When I am intent on achieving maximum velocities I will load to the point that a case may only get fireformed with a moderate load and then one shot at maximum load and then into the trash can. This is not too kind on an action either. Actions are made out of metal and can be battered pretty hard by overpressure loads. It is also somewhat dangerous as sometimes things go wrong and you have a weak case that won't hold and it separates and gas and melted primer starts going in bad directions .

Right now my load for the 160 AB is too hot to shoot on a hot day and is wrecking brass. But everything is finally nearly set up and I won't need to shoot it so much until late November when temperature will be much better.

I would say from the loads that I have seen listed and the velocities that I have seen quoted on this forum that it is not surprising that the poll shows most peoples brass is failing from high pressures enlarging the primer pockets. High velocity is not free.

Probably someone else can explain it better. Looks like Eaglet did it already.

I will say this. These types of loads are not something to let your children shoot because things do go wrong with high pressure loads. You have do not have much safety. margin.

Thanks for the explanations guys. I really do know what primer pocket enlargement is but I was trying to be funny. I was taking a jab at the spelling mistake, sorry I won't do that anymore. I'll be more serious from now on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

buffalobob,
That was a good explaining you did, good job, some one else will take advantage of it. Shame on you cowboy... or... shame on me, my spelling is so bad that...OK! cowboy, you win! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.