Is Weatherby brass soft?

shortshooter

I've read this site and searched over and over about the issue of the claim the the Weatherby Norma brass is "soft". I understand perfectly well what mean when they say it's soft.

What I still haven't found an satisfactory answer to is an explanation or answer to this claim.

If it's soft is must have something to do with metallurgy. Is the alloy itself soft or inappropiate. Perhaps its a metal temp issue with the alloy.

I've read "it's consistant, but it's soft".

Can someone offer a real metallurgical explanation of why Norma case life is inferior?

The old adage that "it's soft" doesn't cut the cookie for me when I try to research and find an answer to this.

Thanks.

I guess I would like to know this as well. Many people anneal their cases to make them softer in the neck. Why would soft brass be a problem if it is designed to handle the pressures it will see. I have heard this negative comment from time to time of other brass and dont understand what the complaint is. I never hear it in conjunction with complaints about safety.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.