Is this normal?

Is there a significant difference in resistance closing the bolt between a fired case and a new case inserted or are they the same? You can test this when you do the sharpie test. Might as well mark up a fired case as well, and see how much the neck is causing issues.

So after doing some research I am coming to the conclusion there is definitely over pressure signs although they aren't extreme signs but you can see some smearing and can slightly see extrusion marks from the extractor recess. Ugh...this is really frustrating. I think after hunting seasoning I'm going to get the action trued and a bartlein barrel put on with muzzle brake. I got my elk hunt in 3 weeks and my only other rifle I could use atm is a bergara HMR 6.5 creedmoor that is heavy and not what I would call an elk caliber.

That Bergera is more rifle then that 700 ever thought about being (how many times have you had to send it back?) I know I've had both. As far as 6.5 creed not an elk caliber, that is more cartridge then you will need. Idk how far you plan to take this elk but I'd say given the post your inside 500yds.

As far as your issue I think it's a head space issue, an not so much a bullet into lands issue. Take a fired piece of brass and measure to the datum line i bet it's under Sammi specs or at a min under the unfired brass. You would have to be jamming a crap ton to make your rifle hard to close the bolt on (more than what I'm seeing in the photo), an would prolly pull the bullet on a unfired case. The amount of force the camming action of a bolt has incredible. I would say the chamber is cut short. If there is no hard bolt lift after firing That makes me think even more of looking at the brass. After firing the brass will have taken on the chambers shape. if there is a pressure problem you would have a hard bolt life as well. Reason it closes hard is bc your having to squish the brass into your chamber. Essentially resizing the brass with your chamber. (That's better left to a press)

As far as truing an rebarreling a 700 been there done that, you will have the same amount or more money into that then you would a custom. Find a good used custom action you done have a stock. Sell the 700 build what you want, an you wont look back. Figure what the 700 cost ya plus truing.

Just my $0.02

Shifty

There you have it... we are all experts. Lol.
Honestly, it will all be supposition and guessing by just looking at pics. Many of us, including myself are looking at little pics on a cell phone.
The concensious is: There is something wrong with your rifle. Also: There may or may not be a hazardous situation. You should take the rifle to a competent gunsmith.

Last edited:
So I took the gun to a gunsmith today. He scoped it and checked it out and cleaned it. He said he couldn't see anything that would be affecting anything and said the bolt close seems ok to him. It made me happy to hear this and put my mind at ease. So on the way home I decided to stop by the range to fire a few rounds. After about the 10 rounds the trigger completely locked up on me. I cannot even dry fire it. It moves maybe the slightest hair. Its an aftermarket timney trigger. I took the stock off to look at it and I cant find anything wrong with it, although I didn't take the trigger off the action. Do triggers ever just crap out? It makes no sense to me why the trigger wont move. I've played with the safety and bolt release. Anybody have any ideas whats wrong with it? UGH Its looking more and more like I'm going to be carrying my Bergara HMR this year.:(

So I took the gun to a gunsmith today. He scoped it and checked it out and cleaned it. He said he couldn't see anything that would be affecting anything and said the bolt close seems ok to him. It made me happy to hear this and put my mind at ease. So on the way home I decided to stop by the range to fire a few rounds. After about the 10 rounds the trigger completely locked up on me. I cannot even dry fire it. It moves maybe the slightest hair. Its an aftermarket timney trigger. I took the stock off to look at it and I cant find anything wrong with it, although I didn't take the trigger off the action. Do triggers ever just crap out? It makes no sense to me why the trigger wont move. I've played with the safety and bolt release. Anybody have any ideas whats wrong with it? UGH Its looking more and more like I'm going to be carrying my Bergara HMR this year.:(
Is there any clearance between the trigger and the trigger guard?
Also, is the firing pin at the back of the bolt in battery (all the way back to flush with bolt)?

So I took it apart and out of the stock I couldnt get it to dry fire. Bolted back into the stock and its dry firing again. Only thing that i did was play with the bolt release and safety and then i dropped the barreled action onto the floor when i was removing from the vice :oops: and now its dry firing. i dont get it. The firing pin was back. The action screws are at 40Lbs per in with aluminum pillars and bedded stock.

You could have had some gunk in the trigger. Sometimes it's common in (Timney) triggers with dusty competitions. I believe you can use lighter flood to flush out and let dry. I would also check the bolt release when you assemble to make sure it's moving freely and not binding. Maybe just a fluke. I just tried binding mine and it would still cock and fire.

So I took it apart and out of the stock I couldnt get it to dry fire. Bolted back into the stock and its dry firing again. Only thing that i did was play with the bolt release and safety and then i dropped the barreled action onto the floor when i was removing from the vice :oops: and now its dry firing. i dont get it. The firing pin was back. The action screws are at 40Lbs per in with aluminum pillars and bedded stock.
Yeah, that isn't quite right. If you can take the trigger module out and check for anything odd, any debris either on the module/ action, maybe lube per Timney (call them for info). There may be an interference with the stock, so look there too. Timneys are wider usually on the trigger shoe to bottom metal slot for trigger shoe clearance. Also the module and safety can interfere with any stock. Take your time and look at every thing in this area. Also see if your mag box and bottom metal is correctly seated in the receiver and the stock. This is one area I've had to be extra attentive when assembling. If its jacked up, that could bind trigger and a whole lot more...

Send it back to Remington. Their quality control SUCKS. This is unacceptable. Problems like this may be why They are in fore closure......!
First have your smith to measure the COL. of the HSM ammo. Then the free bore and head space of the chamber. If any of the above are found to be out of spec rifle and or ammo contact the manufacture and complain and refund your $ and replace their faulty merchandise.....HSM ammo uses Bertram brass which they get from Australia which is crap. I have had sticky bolts and hard chambering HSM loaded ammo before and will not ever buy it again. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.