Is this a scope issue

I think you are misunderstanding, Most Remington actions are upgraded to a Sako Extractor, The mini ? extractor is a longer version of the Sako and maybe a little wider. The Stiller action is a bolt action very similar to the Remington 700 in shape

I think you are misunderstanding, Most Remington actions are upgraded to a Sako Extractor, The mini ? extractor is a longer version of the Sako and maybe a little wider. The Stiller action is a bolt action very similar to the Remington 700 in shape

You are right. That was a total misunderstanding. Sorry.

I would load up 50 rounds of your favorite load, but seat them all 0.004" off the lands, and rig up a way to bring your press to the range. Fire 5 shots and see how they group. With the press re-seat the next 5 rounds to 0.008" off the lands and see how they group. Continue seating each (5) shot group 0.004" deeper than the previous. The final group would be 0.044" off the lands. You should observe some very interesting groups, some will string, some will be ovals, and HOPEFULLY at least 1 (probably more) will group to your expectations. Note: You could set the seating depths at home to the various depths, but when you discover very early that the 0.008" off the lands is the magic seating depth, you can easily seat the remaining bullets to that while still at the range.

Last edited:
I would add just one thing to 'Yooper's advice; seat the first group with the bullets kissing the lands...not hard into them...just barely touching. A lot of rifles shoot their best groups with the bullets seated to some degree into the lands.

Since its. New barrel it has not broke in yet fully. Will only get better the more you shoot it.

That was kind of what I was hoping as the first time out the last group looked like this first 4 groups. Just been too cold and windy to go back yet.
I have had scope issues before on comp rifles but that's a little easier for me to pick out as I shoot free recoil and know I'm not introducing any holding errors.

While this can be caused by the scope, it's probably low on the list of causes. In my experience several things can cause this type of dispersion:

Shooting problem: Trigger break, sight picture, hold consistency, rest consistency.
Rifle problem: Bedding, loose scope mounts, defective scope
Load problem: Seating depth with Berger VLD's, powder, bullet, case prep(runout)

The only way to figure it out is to isolate the issue. Most importantly, don't change too many variables at one time. The heavier the recoil compared to what you are used to, look to a shooting problem. If someone else set up your rifle, look to a rifle issue, especially bedding and mounts. If you are using VLD's, check seating depth or try a standard bullet. The scope is the easiest, try another one. iMHO.

I shoot (free recoil) and know I'm not introducing any holding errors.

I have had issues like this before with a new build.
I am also one that uses a very light hold on the gun, let it do it's own thing.
I built a 6.5 SAUM that i couldn't get to shoot under 2-3" grps, with anything I tried. One day I desided to just pull the gun into my shoulder real tight and the first group was in the 2's. This might not be your problem but worth a try some guns just like to be hugged. :D

Barry

I built a 6.5 SAUM that i couldn't get to shoot under 2-3" grps, with anything I tried. One day I desided to just pull the gun into my shoulder real tight and the first group was in the 2's. This might not be your problem but worth a try some guns just like to be hugged. :D

Barry

I agree , Now the truth comes out , you can't shoot a 7mm saum free recoil with a crappy rear sand bag for support and not expect some vertical .
You may not be seeing any holding errors but that does not mean the recoil is tracking well after you touch her off .
Free recoil with a bi-pod is also prone to the gun jumping up in the air although you are using a farley rest which should be good.

I built a 6.5 SAUM that i couldn't get to shoot under 2-3" grps, with anything I tried. One day I decided to just pull the gun into my shoulder real tight and the first group was in the 2's. This might not be your problem but worth a try some guns just like to be hugged. :D

Barry

That was the issue, here is a pic of the rifle and the bag set up, a little dark but best the cell phone can do. And a pic of a group when hugging it hard as Hillbilly suggested. Now to learn the same grip, and this rifle will be ready way out there.
Group measured under .360" I shot another one before this a tad larger.

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

That looks much better now.
That's not a "sand bag" it's a " bunny eared rear bag " big difference.
If you had of said " free recoil " in the beginning I would have been on it straight away .
I can still see a few things to improve .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.