Is there any ballistics software out there that actually works?

I haven't got any type of device to measure the baro details etc so sounds like I need to invest in one.

I used some cabelas bucks and got one of their cabelas branded Brunton meters for about 80 bucks. It doesn't have humidity but its said that humidity makes little difference.

I've calibrated the wind meter against the auto speedometer and GPS. It's pretty much spot on. (However, it sure could use a 1000 yard extension handle and some telemetry:D)

It hangs around my neck constantly. Here in Los Alamos there's a thousand feet between the apartment and the gun range. I contiunally plug the various numbers into the code to get a "feel" for what things mean. Its a whole new world. Words mean things and data is important.

A warning would be to get something like a good shooting cartridge other than your main hunting rifle to wear out learning all of this stuff.:D

Baro Pressure seems to be spot on. But elevation varies all over the place as baro pressure changes. This is very confusing to the aged mind.........

What to enter, baro pressure w/the actual reading or corrected to sea level and throw the elevation away?????? This has been stated several different ways depending upon the software being used, I think......

Up in Idaho there were only two elevations that I hunted LR. Here elevation changes are hummongous over very short distances.

Good luck and good shootin'

AJ.

2.23" scope height???

My 50 mm 1" tube ziess is 1.79" above bore. I couldn't get long range drops to match calc drops until I measured it accurately and enter the new number in the code. Looks like you're giving good council.

Maybe a new thread otta start here. How much line of site change between the 1" tube and 30mm tube. I'm trying to stay away from cheek piece. Or should I just calculate it?

Yep, 2.23" on the rear of the scope for my 338AM and it's 40moa base.

AJ

AJ,

do you measure from the rear of the scope as opposed to the front on canted bases?? is that the accurate place to measure to input into the ballistics program??

What uncorrected bar-pressure actualy does is changes your BC, it makes you miss and miss big!

I wear a Lacrosse technologies wristwatch with a barometer which I calibrate weekly.

to measure my scope heighth, I use dial calibers (with action out of the stock) I measure the bell of the scope, then at the same place measure the barrel, then measure from the top of the bell of the scope to the bottom of the barrel, subtract half of each from the total scope/barrel measurement and your set.

correct your velocity for actual MV, instead of 15' from the muzzle

Put all your information in as accurately as you can get it, you'll probably still be off due to differences in your actual BC and what the maker claims, then you adjust for that, knowing all your info is correct so it has to be BC varience

Then shoot at 400, 500, 600 and measure your actual drops, then just tweak the BC in your program until your program matches your actual drops. once your right on at 400,500,600 it just stands to reason that it will be on at 700,800,and 900 yards.

so you get it tuned in to 400,500,600,700,800,900, whats the odds its right at 1K?
RR

AJ,

do you measure from the rear of the scope as opposed to the front on canted bases?? is that the accurate place to measure to input into the ballistics program??

I don't know what the "correct" way to measure is with canted bases. Using the rear of the scope works on my rifles. the easiest way I've found is to open the bolt so it is even with the back of the scope and then measure from middle of scope to middle of bolt (watch out for a sloppy bolt fit).

AJ

Thanks AJ,

I was doing some testing and didn't get done with it yet, but I've got a slightly canted base 1.97" at the rear and 1.55" at the front (measured center of scope to boreline) and the trajectories seem to match up to the rear measurement at least short range. I still have to confirm the long range trajectories

Ther is an old saying,"A man with 1 watch,will alway's know what time it is,a man with 2 watches will never be sure."The point I am trying to make,is just use one ballistic calculator,and make it work.Working with 2 programs,will only complicate matters.You just have to find the "curve" of your rifle,and tweak the numbers to get everything to match up. If you have Exbal,go to the "trajectory validation" feature,and it should get you alot closer.

From what I am reading i would be looking hard at the Chronograph and maybe shooting through another to double check your speed , I have a Custom 7mag and a nightforce 5.5-22x50 in NF rings on a 20moa base , I use the 1.5 above bore calculation and have landed very close with all the calculated shots out to 800 , check your pressure settings as well , just a thought , but the velocity if its not bob on will have you all over the shop on actual touch down.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.