Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

Call it what you want, but without looking through those rose colored glasses, I can assure you I saw what I saw first-hand, no BS.

Schmidt can have a bad day, just like everyone else can. Man-made means there will be lemons. And THAT is a fact.

I don't dislike Schmidt, they've always made the best there is, but what I saw that day was horrific clarity.

Mudrunner what optics are you using on your rifles now? I have had several nightforce scopes in the past and i agree they are great scopes for the money, I have three schmidt&bender pmII's and can tell you from owning both not looking through a friends that the schmidt is on a whole other level.
You may want to tell the optics manager about the scopes in question so he can pull them and send them back to S&B for an assessment.
P.S. the focus knob is the is the furthest knob on the left side, i fear you may have been turning the illumination knob.

Call it what you want, but without looking through those rose colored glasses, I can assure you I saw what I saw first-hand, no BS.

Schmidt can have a bad day, just like everyone else can. Man-made means there will be lemons. And THAT is a fact.

I don't dislike Schmidt, they've always made the best there is, but what I saw that day was horrific clarity.

Schmidt does have the odd long term lemon mechanically, but not optically.
I got to tour the S&B factory and it is not what you might expect. The term factory does not really fit...facility might be a better term. It is very small and there are very few people working in it. Every lens is hand fitted then optically aligned with special microscope looking machinery. Then it is tested before it leaves the factory..by hand.

It is possible you looked through a hunting scope that had been dropped or driven over...As far as looking through a PMII and being disappointed?...well...that is not going to happen.

I'm hearing that March scopes are the best now.
In time this may prove to be true., but....
Why does March only offer a 5 year warranty?
If I am spending Schmidt and Bender kind of money I want a Schmidt and Bender warranty.

March tells us this is a Japanese thing....Well....Nightforce has their optics done in Japan and what sort of warranty do they offer? Lifetime!

March and Premier both have great optics, but if you want to know how they stand up head over to Sniper's hide...Premier is a dirty word over there and March is brand new and just getting started (again). Check in with them in a few years....So far so good.

From what I have been hearing the new 34mm Nightforce scopes are giving them a run for their money, but I haven't seen one yet.

Mudrunner what optics are you using on your rifles now? I have had several nightforce scopes in the past and i agree they are great scopes for the money, I have three schmidt&bender pmII's and can tell you from owning both not looking through a friends that the schmidt is on a whole other level.
You may want to tell the optics manager about the scopes in question so he can pull them and send them back to S&B for an assessment.
P.S. the focus knob is the is the furthest knob on the left side, i fear you may have been turning the illumination knob.
This was about a year ago now.....I did tell my buddy who worked there, and he noticed the same thing. So I know it wasn't me imagining it. But I'm sure those scopes are long gone...

Also, what brand of scopes I own is redundant. I used to sell every brand of scope at that same location (when the store was owned by a different person). So I use clarity, light transmission, and crispness to determine a good scope for me, not a name brand or a price tag.

I can say I have never looked through a March, and only through 1 US Optics scope. So I can in no way pass any judgement on those brands.

Schmidt does have the odd long term lemon mechanically, but not optically.
I got to tour the S&B factory and it is not what you might expect. The term factory does not really fit...facility might be a better term. It is very small and there are very few people working in it. Every lens is hand fitted then optically aligned with special microscope looking machinery. Then it is tested before it leaves the factory..by hand.

It is possible you looked through a hunting scope that had been dropped or driven over...As far as looking through a PMII and being disappointed?...well...that is not going to happen.
I never said what model I looked through.....:rolleyes:

And yes, it was a hunting model, b/c it didn't have tactical turrets.

Ok then, as long as you have SOLD every type of scope out there thats good enough for me! As far as what type of scope it was is redundant, they use the same glass in all their lines.

Ok then, as long as you have SOLD every type of scope out there thats good enough for me! As far as what type of scope it was is redundant, they use the same glass in all their lines.
Hey, if you can't admit that your favorite brand of glass is capable of having flaws, then by all means continue to live in your little bubble. But in the real world, things break and things have imperfections....Including Schmidt & Bender scopes. So, if I were you, I'd realize what I was talking about before entering into a coversation with someone in your condescending tone. What i have and have not done in my life is 100% unknown to you. You don't know me, you don't have the slightest clue who I am. So, how can you be so condescending in your judgements, b/c someone else stated the opposite of what you think.

If you have S&B scopes, go for it. I'm not spending $4K on a **** scope, that a $2K scope will do just as good a job as.

But I don't hate on people who do, that would be purely ignorant for me to do such a thing. :rolleyes:

I don't own a NF or an S&B, so whether you think I'm trying to pull someone away from S&B (if that's what you might think), then that's pretty sad. I'm just stating what I have seen and done in my life. If you can't handle or accept that, then go live your own instead of doubting mine.

I probably will buy S&B next, I was impressed with March though. It's a cop out the Japanese thing, that speaks volumes about the companies financial position and long term commitment. Sad... I'm going S&B next. They have the rep and aftermarket following from everything I read. Thanks for all the comments gentleman...

You win, may the scope you buy be the standard to which all others are judged. I dont think your rant is compelling enough to pull anyone off a. Barska so i wouldnt worry about optic sales plummeting in germany anytime soon.

I'm not trying to pull anyone off of anything. If you want a S&B, go buy it, they're great scopes. I'm stating what I've seen. But for you to tell me there is no possible way for ANY S&B scope to EVER be flawed is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Now, if you want to continue this stupid ****ing contest that you decided to initiate, go do it by yourself.

I don't own a Barska. I have some cheap scopes, and I have some high-end scopes. 3 of which are German glass.

Since we're on the subject of Barska, does anyone know where I can get a Barska sticker for my rear window?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.