is the twist rate wrong?

luke

my buddy just ordered a barrel chambered in 300 Ultra mag. the twist rate is 1 in 8. his plan is to use 210gr berger vld. is the twist rate too fast. is there better bullets for this barrel? any input would be appreciated. thank you:)

I think it is too fast. All of my 30 cal tubes designated for the heavier 30 cal bullets except one are 1-10 twist. I shoot 210's, 215 and 230 bergers out of them. The "other" twist is a 1-9.5 krieger 1.45 strait taper on my HG. I had it made as soon as I heard about the 230 berger. It didn't like them, but LOVES the 215 berger.

Just my .02!!

Tod

The barrel company he webt through offers a 1-8 and 1-10 for the 30cal. I told him to look at different manufactures. I also suggested to him a 1-10. I believe the reason he ordered the 1-8 was a miss understanding. I ordered a 1-8 7rem mag barrel. When he told me what he ordered I suggested that he call and make a correction. He didn't and now it is on its way. What weight bullets would be good for this. It will mostly be used as a 1000plus yard rock buster with the occasional deer and elk hunt. If it will shoot at all. Thanks again for any suggestions.:)

The barrel company he webt through offers a 1-8 and 1-10 for the 30cal. I told him to look at different manufactures. I also suggested to him a 1-10. I believe the reason he ordered the 1-8 was a miss understanding. I ordered a 1-8 7rem mag barrel. When he told me what he ordered I suggested that he call and make a correction. He didn't and now it is on its way. What weight bullets would be good for this. It will mostly be used as a 1000plus yard rock buster with the occasional deer and elk hunt. If it will shoot at all. Thanks again for any suggestions.:)

Benchmark doesn't have a 30 cal 9 twist? From 10 to 8 is a big jump in a 30 cal.

He will probably loose a little velocty but it should shoot just fine. It will probably a little hard on lighter thin jacketed bullets. 2 that I would recommend off the top of my head would be the 230 Hybrid and CE C22 200 gr Max Agg HPBT

I will let him know what you recommend. I appreciate the replys. Thanks for the advice. What do you think about the 240gr smk??? That is a bullet that I was thinking might work.

10-twist is more than enough for anything you wanna throw at it. 9-twist will work for the big heavies, but so will a 10.

I'd tell your buddy to call and change his order ASAP to a 1:10...

I would stick to the big heavies, you may be able to shoot the lighter ones at first but as the throat wears it may start thrashing jackets, nitriding may be a good option to try to extent the throat life.

I will let him know what you recommend. I appreciate the replys. Thanks for the advice. What do you think about the 240gr smk??? That is a bullet that I was thinking might work.

I must have been thinking about Benchmark from another thread?

Anyway, yeah, the 240 SMK's should work fine but the other 2 will give you better ballistics.

Any monometal bullets will work in it and the 215 Hybrids should be fine as well.

10-twist is more than enough for anything you wanna throw at it. 9-twist will work for the big heavies, but so will a 10.

I'd tell your buddy to call and change his order ASAP to a 1:10...

Actually, if you run the numbers in Berger's twist calculator, the 230 Hybrid and 200 CE C22"s are the edge of stability out of a 10 twist RUM.

Target Bullets | Berger Bullets

9 is a better twist for them.

Thank you to all that have givin words of wisdom. His barrel should be here by the end of the week. Unfortunately we cant find any bullets right now. He does have a few boxes of 210 vld's so we will try them. I will report back after some range time. Might need more suggestions. One last question why would anyone offer that fast of a twist for that caliber? It seems that a 10 twist is a good twist.

That's a good question. I don't know of any 30 cal bullets on the market shot at near RUM velocities that would need an 8 twist and very surprised they dont offer a 9 twist if they have 8 twists. A really long tactical mono type bullet would be the only reason to use an 8 that I can think of.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.