Is the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 Adequate for 1000 Yard Paper Punching

BrowningBoy

Im starting a long range build and I would like to know if 12x is an adequate power for paper puching out to 1000 yard? if not how far is it good for?

Or it might be easier answering what size target or steel plate would i need in order to see or accurately shoot at that distance?

It will be set up for hunting as well but I need to know if I should Put a different scope in my budget.

Help and ideas is greatly appreciated

Opinions will vary, but mine is to plan on a higher mag scope for shooting beyond 600 yds.

I love 12X for just about everything, and use 12X-15X most all the time for normal hunting and shooting out to 500 or 600 yds, but 1000 yds is a long ways off. A 2" aiming dot is pretty small at 1000 yds, even with 20X. Sometimes the heat waves are too strong for using anything over 20X but it's nice to have it when the conditions cooperate.

Again, this is just one opinion, and 12X is probably adequate, just maybe not ideal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts