Is the magnification jump worth it?

mrb1982

I have a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 with a target dot that my broter in law wants to buy from me. I think it is a good scope for te money and I probably will never be able to afford a nightforce. But I would consider maybe a sligt upgrade in magnification to maybe the same scope only in the 8.5-25 version.

I am wondering if that would be really worth it or not? Are there any disadvantages to only being able to get down to 8.5? The added magnification on the top end would be kind of nice. I have been shooting the target dot reticle as of now. I would maybe consider using te varmint reticle so that those 400-500 shoots would be a little more efficient and then get the rest of my dopes figured out from there. Any thougt from anybody?

If you sell your scope consider getting a Vortex PST FFP 6-24x50mm. I think they are a better scope than what you are looking at and I think less money.

gt40

If you sell your scope consider getting a Vortex PST FFP 6-24x50mm. I think they are a better scope than what you are looking at and I think less money.

gt40

I will think about that. Do they by chance have a zero stop in them?

I really like the zero stop option in some of these scopes, but at the same time, it isn't really a requirement for me.

I will think about that. Do they by chance have a zero stop in them?

I really like the zero stop option in some of these scopes, but at the same time, it isn't really a requirement for me.

Yes they do have a zero stop in them. It is done with supplied shims. Very easy to do.

PM sent.

joseph

PS: Read this you might be interested in one. I absolutely love mine.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

It's difficult for many of us to recommend something without more information. What are you using the rifle for? Target shooting, big game, varmints, etc.? What caliber?

It's difficult for many of us to recommend something without more information. What are you using the rifle for? Target shooting, big game, varmints, etc.? What caliber?

7RM
Hunting rifle.
Would like to kill something at 1000yds, but I am a believer of practicing at 1200 or more to prepare for 1000.

I would like a setup that gives me 50moa of useable elevation. My current svope gives me about 57. Like the PSTs but would have to rig some different rings than my current

7RM
Hunting rifle.
Would like to kill something at 1000yds, but I am a believer of practicing at 1200 or more to prepare for 1000.

I would like a setup that gives me 50moa of useable elevation. My current svope gives me about 57. Like the PSTs but would have to rig some different rings than my current

Install a 10-15 or 20 MOA EGW rail under the scope.....then you'll have LOTS of elevation

Install a 10-15 or 20 MOA EGW rail under the scope.....then you'll have LOTS of elevation

Yeah, I am coming to the realization that my scope selection is pretty limited without a rail. Never been much of a fan of the rail I guess, I could always go with the defensive edge 20moa's if that was the case.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages of a rail?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.