@@@Is the Government buying up our Hunting Bullets ?@@@

bigbuck

I simply do not understand! Exactly what is going on ? If I was in the bullet manufacturing bussiness the more I could make to sell . The more money I would make . Right? I go to Bergers site and everything that I want is "Out of Stock" I go to Graff and Sons and try to find retumbo powder and it says " Out of Stock". Same thing I need F215M Primers and again "Out of Stock" Now some could say that this is due to panic buying or hording but the fact is our Economy still sucks and I have a hard time believing that folks that are barely making ends meet are spending their grocery or gas money on ammo . I feel that the average American cannot buy up all of this Ammo . Am I wrong ? What is your view on this? I know I will never be in this shape again if the Ammo ever becomes availible like it once was . Call me a horder if you want . I plan on rewriting the definition of a "Horder" ...... I am a fraid our Gov has threw a BIG sucker punch !

It's like a food shortage. People are willing to buy what they usually don't eat just to be assured of having some food in the house. This will go on for quite some time.

I know people who have emptied their retirement accounts to buy ammo and guns. People have lost their minds because Obama said " boo! ".

It's not so much the government buying up everything as it is us. Many people didn't have any ammo for this gun or that, or had a limited amount. As soon as the word came out about limiting ammo and banning this or that, they decided to get some on hand. Unfortunately, that turned out to be millions of people rushing the stores, and as soon as the stores started running low the profiteers jumped into the fray, creating a bigger shortage.

Now throw in a story of DHS buying millions of rounds and the panic turns into a frenzy. Who would have figured that 22lr would be a scarcity?

It's not so much the government buying up everything as it is us. Many people didn't have any ammo for this gun or that, or had a limited amount. As soon as the word came out about limiting ammo and banning this or that, they decided to get some on hand. Unfortunately, that turned out to be millions of people rushing the stores, and as soon as the stores started running low the profiteers jumped into the fray, creating a bigger shortage.

Now throw in a story of DHS buying millions of rounds and the panic turns into a frenzy. Who would have figured that 22lr would be a scarcity?

I believe your right . I called Hogdon powder company today and flat out asked the rep , is the Government buying up all of the powder and ammo. He told me that reloaders where buying all that they can get there hands on. He said " we have sold more powder this year than any year in our past sinse our company has been opened" He said that" every time a Democrate gets into office the ammo sales spike"

For those of you reading this that may have voted for Obama you get what you deserve!

When I can sell an AK in the parking lot of a gun show fror 1200 bucks and I paid 200 for it, thats a panic, plain and simple. I did give him 2 30 rounders and the toad sticker too.....:D

It's coming back, slowly. I mentioned in another thread that I got Sierra's from Graf's and Sinclair and Hornady Vmax in 22 caliber from Widners, none of them were in stock but shipped in 3 weeks.

Keep in mind that Hogdon Powder isn't made here, just packaged here. It comes from Oz so it has to ship in, in an overseas container so a run on Hogdon powder will take some time to work through.

I watched people at Cabelas literally empty the shelves of factory loads, I saw one idiot with a shopping cart loaded with 223's, I thought the cart was going to break. Thats crazy. I tell people, it only takes one.:)

I think what will happen is the ammunition market will have a flood of paid for but not needed ammo sold in gun shops and on Craigslist for cheap in about a year.

I don't have any idea where rimfire 22's went to. My saving grace is I had a couple thousand rounds of Federal that I saved for opossums and my indoor winter handgun league so I'm ok but about half of the potential shooters in out league had to drop out because they had no 22's.

I have a couple bricks of Wolf Match Extra, Eley primed with Vitavouri powder that I'll hang onto. great match bullet. I should sell 'em. probably could get triple what I paid last year.

I like the 22's for practice. I even have the 22 top slide for my Kimber and my Wilson. Why pop off 45's when you can pop off 22's.

I stopped up at the corner store to see about selling an ar-10 and now they are out of 22lr. They still have some 17hmr and a fair amount of shotgun shells but no other rifle rounds and only 2 boxes of 40cal for handguns.

I stopped up at the corner store to see about selling an ar-10 and now they are out of 22lr. They still have some 17hmr and a fair amount of shotgun shells but no other rifle rounds and only 2 boxes of 40cal for handguns.

I know its that away in several stores all over in different states. Good luck with your sell/Ammo purchase.

I know its that away in several stores all over in different states. Good luck with your sell/Ammo purchase.
I have a couple bricks of Winchester and a couple Remmingtons left. I think I can weather this out.

As for the sale, I don't think it will take long. I'm not asking gunbroker prices

One of the guys at the club was talking about reloading 22 rimfires. I said you gotta be kidding me.

Reminds me of the U-Tube video's of making primers from scratch.

One of the guys at the club was talking about reloading 22 rimfires. I said you gotta be kidding me.

Reminds me of the U-Tube video's of making primers from scratch.

Was he serious ? I can only imagine how small the dies would be. I woul like to see some. I dint think it was possible with dies like you and I use in our LRH rifles.

You don't use a die, you seat the bullet with your fingers or needlenose pliers. It's a straight walled case and the bullet has gas checks (ridges) that keep it in the case.

Take a 22 in one hand and grab the bullet with the other and twist it. It will move and you can actually pull it out.

Problem is, it's rimfire so no primer and spent cases will have deformed case heads. I guess it could be done in a pinch with home cast lead bullets but it seems pretty tedious to me.

Never took one apart and dumped it out, but it can't have but a grain of powder inside,

Reloading 22's is desperation at it's best, sort of like making priners at home.,

I guess for a more ideal take apart a 17 Mach or HMR would be easier to play with. They are rimfire too.

You don't use a die, you seat the bullet with your fingers or needlenose pliers. It's a straight walled case and the bullet has gas checks (ridges) that keep it in the case.

Take a 22 in one hand and grab the bullet with the other and twist it. It will move and you can actually pull it out.

Problem is, it's rimfire so no primer and spent cases will have deformed case heads. I guess it could be done in a pinch with home cast lead bullets but it seems pretty tedious to me.

Never took one apart and dumped it out, but it can't have but a grain of powder inside,

Reloading 22's is desperation at it's best, sort of like making priners at home.,

I guess for a more ideal take apart a 17 Mach or HMR would be easier to play with. They are rimfire too.

Cool, hope it doesnt come down to that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.