Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

Broz, great discussion. I realize you ve bought a 5.5-22 nxs and I have one One that I have apart from 12-50 S&B is the IOR 12-52 Treminator for extreme range - not sure yet how good it will be in the end.

Broz, great discussion. I realize you ve bought a 5.5-22 nxs and I have one One that I have apart from 12-50 S&B is the IOR 12-52 Treminator for extreme range - not sure yet how good it will be in the end.

That IOR is definatly one to keep an eye on. .25 MOA, second focal Plane, MP-8 reticle in moa, zero stop, 25 moa per turn, 100 moa total and in a 12 ~52 X. The tube is 40 mm. The at $3200 is a little above what I budgeted, so I want to see one and try it in the field before I bite. But it sounds great, please do a review after you ahve used it for a while.

Jeff

That IOR is definatly one to keep an eye on. .25 MOA, second focal Plane, MP-8 reticle in moa, zero stop, 25 moa per turn, 100 moa total and in a 12 ~52 X. The tube is 40 mm. The at $3200 is a little above what I budgeted, so I want to see one and try it in the field before I bite. But it sounds great, please do a review after you ahve used it for a while.

Jeff

I had two IOR Terminators, got the 1st one :D
They both had "issues", one failed again before the other one came back from repair.
I got a full refund & moved on before the second one came back from Romania.

Incredible glass, fantastic reticle & dials, just teething issues with the revolutionary design

I have been using a March 3-24, very nice. This one is Mil FFP, the reticle is a little thicker than I like but other than that this is a lot of scope in a little package.

Yes, I started with a 5.5 ~22 on my 338 LM and changed to a 8x32 but the 32 only has 65 moa of elevation and when I looked at that coupled with the loss of field of view and added mirage at 32X I went back to a 5.5~22.

Jeff

you can always power down but its tough to power up when your out of power.
as for elevation i still have about 20 minits left at a mile without the reticle.
for me at least the caution lites have been flashing for awhile at that point.

you can always power down but its tough to power up when your out of power.
as for elevation i still have about 20 minits left at a mile without the reticle.
for me at least the caution lites have been flashing for awhile at that point.

Glad it works with in your limits. Even powered down I found it to be harder to get into it's eye box and field of view. Having used both before I just couldn't get as happy with it. I was much happier once I was back to the 5.5~22 but I guess back then I was only shooting to about 2000 yards. It might have more merrit at 2500 plus but I am not sure how you would get it there unless you zero your rifle out past 600 yards, and I ain't up for that.

Jeff

I have been using a March 3-24, very nice. This one is Mil FFP, the reticle is a little thicker than I like but other than that this is a lot of scope in a little package.

I will not pass up a chance to shoot one of the March Scopes. I liked what I saw reading about them and many shooters speak highly of them. Maybe we will get some better reticle subtensios in the future, but I am just not sure it can come in FFP.

Jeff

I had two IOR Terminators, got the 1st one :D
They both had "issues", one failed again before the other one came back from repair.
I got a full refund & moved on before the second one came back from Romania.

Incredible glass, fantastic reticle & dials, just teething issues with the revolutionary design

Sorry to hear this.... Do you think they will work it out? I have had one IOR fail before but they stood behind it well. Then who wants to take chances.

Jeff

Unfortunately this is the IOR story. They have wonderful glass, almost everyone loves their reticles, and their turrets always seem to have a nice feel and are setup well. They have good features and many options to choose from. One can usually find the scope they want in MIL or MOA and SFP or FFP. But I can't think of a single recent model that didn't have some serious hiccups when it comes to durability and repeatability. If they would get this straightened out they would be a real player. For what you get they are priced pretty well IMO. They could be a huge success with some tightening of QC or making whatever changes they need to toughen up their scopes. I am just not sure what the issue is. These problems have been hampering them for a long time.

Scot E.

I agree Scott. I have owned 4 of the recent models. Had an issue with one, still have one and sold off the other 2. The one I have is a perfect match for my 6 br. It is a 4.5 ~ 14 X50 , mp-8 dot and the large 25 moa turret. It continues to work very well but it is only on a 6 br. Perfect scpe at a great price for the job. But for the serious work I have trouble with their reliability as I hear this too often. Too bad.

jeff

I've had a number of IOR scopes over the past 15 years or so. In the end, I had issues with so many of them I finally sold off all but one, and have not felt confident in trying another.
The one I still use is an old 6-24x50 with the 30mm tube. It is a fine cross hair and .25 MOA turrets. It has been a great scope on the 22-250. The ones that broke, a couple 2.5-10's and a 4-16, were all mounted on .300's.
Currently I am using a S&B 4-16x50 with Hollands ART reticle and .25 MOA turrets. I gotta say I am pretty impressed with this scope. We all know about the S&B's, so won't bother raving about that, but I am equally impressed with this reticle. 1.5 MOA hash marks and the reticle alone has 30 MOA of elevation. The reticle is fine enough I have had no problem shooting at tennis ball size targets at 1400 yards, even though this is a FFP scope. This scope is about a grand more than you mentioned, but to my eye, it has far superior image quality than my NF.
He lists a 3-12x42 S&B Klassic that, if I am reading it correctly, features .25 MOA turrets. I have an email in to verify this. If this is correct I will most likely sell my new-this-summer NF 2.5-10 and replace it with this scope and reticle.
He does offer this reticle in Leupold scopes. I spoke with him about the leuy and turret accuracy and repeatability compared to NF. He speaks very highly of them, and also offers a custom .25 MOA turret he says is as good as anything out there.
All that aside, I think if NF offer the MOAR in a fine reticle, it would be a really super scope for ELR. Glass may not be that of S&B, but it is definitely good enough for the task.

Does US OPTICS have any thing in there line up that fits the bill or all of them FFP. The one I had the chance to look through was very nice But price was shall we say beyond extreme. Depending on what one uses it for I am sure. Didn't know if they have different models to choose from that come close to what you were looking for. Happy Hunting!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts