Is the .223 WSSM really that bad??

muleytime

I bought a .223 wssm with a 26" Lilja barrel and buying a mcmillan stock for it. I will be building 500 rounds for it. So my question is, is it really as bad as everybody says. Barrel burner?? Bad fouling??

Any advise please really second guessing the new gun..

Most of the people who I know who got one said the biggest problem was getting the cartridges to feed correctly from the mag. I will say that none of these individuals shot a lot though, so I can't speak for barrel wear.

Why worry about it? If you get to the point where your barrel shoots like crap you will probably be ready for something different and if you love it I am sure you will love it enough to put a new barrel on it.

I shoot the 243 WSSM and I love it. Feeds perfectly and my stealth II shoots under 1/2" without touching the gun.

MOST people that talk trash about the WSSM line have never done more than look at stats on the internet.
IIRC, the 223WSSM was chrome lined from the factory with both Win and Browning which provided it WAY more than 1000 round barrel life, where some guys are claiming that they are toast after around 500.
Now if you're running an after market barrel, and you're trying to push the envelope...you're barrel life may be less than some of those factory rifles, but still nothing I would be to worried about.

The great majority use them as a hunting rifle, and for that application, it's excellent.
There used to be a test chart floating around the net, that compared actual barrel wear in the factory 220 Swifts, factory 22-250s and factory 223WSSMs and the WSSM with it's chrome lined bore was significantly better in the barrel life department.
I wish I could find it.

If (when) you shoot it out eventually, rebarrel it with a 243 or 25WSSM.
The 243WSSM with 105 Berger Hybrids and a 1:8 twist barrel would DOMINATE in the field. No short action caliber would even come close.

I just bought a 223 wssm still waiting on it to arrive) it is my second one. my first one I didnt have very long but I was getting some amazing velocities out of it. I plan to shoot as heavy of a barrel as the 10 twist will stabilize and use it for coyotes, deer and antelope. i think if you take care of it. it should last you at least 1000 rounds but I would think even more, heat ruins barrels so dont get it too hot and take good care of it you will be fine

I am not knowledgeable enough to comment but what I saw in my reloading books for this caliber was to me very, very, impressive.

thanks guys, made me feel better on spending the money:)

And yes the velocitys this little thing can crank out is pretty impressive i agree. Ill work up some loads shortly and let you guys know what i find.
gun)

It is no diff than 220 swift or 22250 only faster i have 2 a coyote and a 22 inch model all shoot well coyote .75 at 100 yards with 70 gr . there great i have all 3 wssms nothing like them

4 issues with the 223WSSM:
- Brass availability
- Extremely thick necks
- Large diameter case
- Bad accurate barrel life

WSSMs should have been produced at 25WSSM & 26WSSM -ONLY. But even here, the potentials are only realized with neck turning/custom chamber, use of a true single shot magnum diameter action, and controlled round push feed with standing blade ejection. Forget a magazine,, more trouble than worth.

4 issues with the 223WSSM:
- Brass availability
- Extremely thick necks
- Large diameter case
- Bad accurate barrel life

WSSMs should have been produced at 25WSSM & 26WSSM -ONLY. But even here, the potentials are only realized with neck turning/custom chamber, use of a true single shot magnum diameter action, and controlled round push feed with standing blade ejection. Forget a magazine,, more trouble than worth.

yep... even my 25wssm has rather thick necks and some softer bullets want to deform while seating them...
On the mag., possibly one up, one down. My Coyote 25wssm seems to like that. Forget three down though. It will likely try to tip them in the mag..

I say if you want it than get it! I have 2 22-250ai which are pretty much the same thing and will always have atleast one rifle chambered in 22-250ai. They are a freaking blast and are hell on coyotes! Just rathole some brass away and have fun!

Most of the people who I know who got one said the biggest problem was getting the cartridges to feed correctly from the mag. I will say that none of these individuals shot a lot though, so I can't speak for barrel wear.

This problem is easily solved by installing a center feed mag box. All short mag have this problem if they are in a staggered magazine. The center feed mags are also the best in the big magnums because of there diameter and the fact that the bullet never touches anything during charging.

The barrel life/erosion has more to do with shooting habits and loading than the cartridge it's self.
If you shoot to fast in any cartridge (Not allowing some cool down time) you can wash the barrel out prematurely. if you load a slow burning powder that does not completely burn in the barrel, you get barrel erosion and throat erosion early on.

If you shoot a dirty barrel (Carbon and copper fouled) this also speeds up the process.

Twist rates and barrel material can also have a bearing on barrel life.

Another thing that can decrease barrel life is excessive velocities.

I have owned and shot most of the short mags and found no real difference in the barrel life compared to other cartridges pushed to there velocities.

The short mag design was designed to improve the powder burn inside the case minimizing the amount of un-burnt powder from entering the throat, and if the proper load is shot at the same velocity and with the same weight bullet, in theory barrel erosion should be less in the short mag, Not more.

The 223 WSSM can be loaded to exceed most other .223's. but if maintained properly and fed good well though out ammo barrel erosion should not be an issue. In fact an improper load in a .308 can
wash out a barrel faster.

The .223 WSSM is a great and fun cartridge and is properly loaded, fired and cleaned it should last a long time.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.