Is shooting 1/2 moa groups at 1000yds posable for under $2000!

Rusty,

"Few Hunting shots made over 500 yards are made first shot."

IS this comment referring to you personally or directed to all of those that hunt at long range?

I assure you, there are many, MANY +500 yard one shot kills. IF done right, this is no feat at all, in fact it should be easy if you are prepared for such a shot and are capable for such a shot.

This year was a relatively slow year for long range hunting. This spring I took a corsican ram at 645 yards, one shot kill and a Texas Dall ram at 820 yards and neither was much of a challange.

Also currently have 13 one shot kills from 500 to 1304 yards with the majority of them being in the 650 to 850 yard range. I am certainly not the most accomplished LR hunter on this web site, many others have done things much more impressive then I have done. One only has to read through the posts here on LRH to see that these guys are doing this shot after shot, year after year.

If you believe the posts is your call. Here on LRH, we take everyone on their word and expect we get the same respect. We do not lie about our shots on game, in fact, I would say we are more honest about misses then lost other groups of hunters.

I assume your comments are discribing your personal hunting performance and not a general comment intended to blanket all of us that have prepared for taking long range shots at big game.

Just want to clearify your comments so you do not get hammered by some other members for such a comment.

Kirby:

I am not wishing to provoke you or start a ****ing contest (excuse me Len). I question no ones integrity on this board. Long Range Shooters are in the minority of the population of hunters out there in the bush. The general hunting population shoots many more deer at less than 500 yards than at more than 500 yards. I would venture to say there are more general hunters not equiped to hunt at 500 yards or more, than are equiped to shoot further than 500 yards.

I have said nothing directed to or about the posters on LRH dot com.
Don't put words in my mouth.

Rustystud

My only reason for responding to your comment was to remind you where you are posting, LongRangeHunting.com.

Everyone that is on this web page has an interest in hunting at long range. Some come on to poke around and leave, some come to learn, some come to share.

What suprises me is when you start with your original post on this subject that it is no problem at all to build a rifle that will shoot sub 1/2 moa groups at a full 1000 yards for under $2000. Then follow that post up by making a very general comment that very few shots over 500 yards are actually legit one shot kills. This throws a red flag up to me. In one breath, 1/2 moa is not all that hard to get at 1000 yards but being able to put a bullet into the vitals of a whitetail at 600 yards is mostly luck or the shots were walked into the target.......

I am not putting words in your mouth, I am replying to the words you type yourself, that is all.

One has to be very careful what is posted on the web, it may not be your intent but it can be taken in many ways you did not intend it to be taken. This is likely what has occured and I was simply asking you to clearify your comments so that they would not be taken the wrong way.

Certainly the vast majority of hunters take game well under 200 yards most of the time. There is a very large section of the hunting population that really has no reason trying to take a shot much past 200 yards.

But there is a growing number of very dedicated, and serious hunters that want the ability to take that 500-600-700-800 yard shot if it presents itself. To have that ability, you need quality gear, and the time invested in practicing to become proficent at long range.

It is popular enough that LRH has grown dramatically over the past few years and the field reports pour in every year of what the members have done at long range.

Again, your comments would be something that you would expect to hear over on 24campfire or a similiar sight that is directed to the conventional hunter.

Just realize where you are posting and the caliber of hunters and shooters you are communicating with. I am not holding my nose in the air, there are many, MANY on this board that have abilities that make my shooting skills look rather anemic and to tell them that making first shot kills past 500 yards is more often then not luck seems pretty hard to imagine.

All I wanted was clarification on your comment.

I would bet a sizable amount of cash that the number of wounded animals is much lower percentage wise for the hunters here on LRH then for conventional hunters, even though shooting ranges here on LRH may be several times longer then what most would consider long range.

You should take your rifles out on the competitive circle and see how they stack up. .

Actually, I am going to give it a try once my shoulder heals up (Dr. says 6-12 months). I ran into a guy at the range the week before my surgery who puts on a monthly competition. He talked me into it. Who knows, I'm getting better shooting left handed, maybe I'll go out there next week and embarrass myself. :D

Paul

Fist off he didn't mention if the two thousand was with or without scope. Then the question was if 1/2 minute of angle is possible at 1000 yards. I have seen alot of 5'' groups shot with trued Remingtons that would come in under 2000 dollars. Kirbys right you won't do it every time especially because of conditions. I have shot many 3'' 4'' and 5'' groups at 1000 yards.

If you're shooting in a 1000yd indoor range with no wind,...
AJ

I think the dissagrements on this are about whether we are talking :

1. Gun

or

2. Gun + Shooter + Wind

1. A gun that is capable of consistantly holding 1/2 moa to 1000 with 0 wind, from front and rear bags (or a vise), and perfect trigger pull for under $2000 is very possible.

2. A gun that will always shoot 1/2 moa in any wind with any shooter is not possible for any amount of money.

The people saying it is possible are most likely thinking along the lines of statement 1.

The people saying it's not very possible are most likely thinking along the lines of statement 2.

For what it's worth, for under $2000 it's hard to find a gun maker, custom or not, who will guarntee 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

Paul

I read the question to mean ** in general ** is it possible to build ................

My opinion is that the chance of building a 1,000yd, .5moa rifle for < $2,000 is close to ZERO. Especially when you see what the average $5,000 bench gun aggs at any given match.

Shooting a .5moa group just once at any distance is meaningless, except for some friendly bragging rights. What can be reasonably expected "on average" would better address the original question IMO.

If you had to answer "Yes" or "No" to this question, I'd be on the "No" side. I base my opinion on having spent more than $2,000 on semi-custom builds and not having a rifle that would be EXPECTED to produce such groups under average conditions.

Just my 2 cents - maybe I'm just a lousey shot!

Most of the long range rifles I build are $3,500 to $4,500 diollars excluding the glass, rings and bases.

But there is the exception, most of the Savages that I have built are in $2,600 dollar range. That may change with using Gary Elisio new S1 stocks.

Rustystud

A buddy of mine came to me and asked the same question about 4 years ago except it was $500. We had a little contest. He had bought a new savage 111 in 270 had it re crowned and said it was a real shooter. It did great for an out of the box gun consistant 3/4 moa at 1000. I had an old mauser action and bought an adams & Bennet barrel already short chambered in 308. I finished the chamber installed a cheapo fajen stock and a bold trigger. It shoots consistant .4-.5 moa at a 1000 yds. I got a good barrel I guess. At 100 it will shoot into the .2's. I couldn't be happier but wouldn't expect this at all if it happened again. It took alot of load development to get to 1000 consistantly. I have a custon tightnecked 300 RUM bench rifle, a custon 7.82 Warbird Lazzeroni huning rifle and a 375 RUM improved Ultra Long range. Still Trying to find bullets I like in 375.

I though group size doesn't matter. Every time I even mention shooting groups at long range, I get 10 guys telling me that they never shoot 5 or 10 shot groups at annimals, and rarely are they at exactly 1000 yards. They don't care about group size. They say my benchrest background is taking over. Yet everyone seems to know how small of groups there gun shoots.

Now we got 50 posts talking about group size.

I,m just sayin!!:D:D:D

I also have a benchrest back ground. If group size and the knowledge there of makes you less of a shooter I suck. I feel it is very important to know what you rifle is capable of.

I also have a benchrest back ground. If group size and the knowledge there of makes you less of a shooter I suck. I feel it is very important to know what you rifle is capable of.
I agree yea you only get one shot maybe two at and animal but without shooting groups you cant know what your rifle is one capable of and two you wont have the skill or cofidence too make that 800 yrd shot!

Ordered a MK VII E.R. SHAW in 6.5 Creedmoor 25 " bbl when they first came out. I mounted a Leupold Boone and Crockett 4.5x14 power scope on it shooting factory 129gr.sst ammo which at the time was all you could get. I gave $975 for the rifle. My goal was to take a hunting rifle, hunting scope and factory ammo and shoot 1000yds. I shot 2 three shot groups measuring 5"" each. It can be done!

Last edited: