Is it useful-practical to apply for a Home-based Federal Firearms License ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richard Owl Mirror, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Richard Owl Mirror

Richard Owl Mirror Well-Known Member

I've been doing a lot of reading on Rifles, equipment, Hunting and while searching subjects on Google, I have come across many websites which recommend applying for a Federal Firearms License even if you do not intend on opening a storefront. They say it is possible to acquire a Federal Firearms License based out of your home. That doing so allows you to buy equipment, firearms, Ammo at reduced prices. Has anyone done this and, does it save you money when buying various rifles & ammo?

Here is the site spelling out how to apply: Firearms - How To - Become An FFL | ATF

Most of the sites also say (maybe hyperbole) that the Obama Admin. is seeking to stop issuing FFL to home-based people and that you should apply before it is too late. Is this simply a scam by people trying to take your money or is it legitimate?

2. tinkerer

tinkerer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, its quite true. I have a good friend here in Texas that WAS a FFL for 20+ years, and he quit due to their extreme practices towards home based FFL. Plus I doubt you would ever receive approval through endless paperwork delays.

Thank the BATF and the politicos for that one.

Good luck though.

Larry
    Tinkerer

3. Richard Owl Mirror

Richard Owl Mirror Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry !

4. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Better off becoming a Hunter Education Instructor. Great deals on firearms and scopes from many companies.

just picked up a 9mm Shield shipped to my dealer for $330 for example.

5. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

You can't do this as a hobby. Having a Type 1 or 7 FFL is for conducting business only.

Look at question #19 on the form 7.

If you only want discounts on ammo and stuff other than firearms, get a Type 3 FFL. Also known as a Curio and Relic collectors license. It is a license for hobbyists collecting C&R eligible firearms. Many retailers also give very nice discounts.