Is it to late for me o start reloading ?

minkman1

Folks.... I have never reloaded before. I use to shoot every Saturday ( 40 times a year ) at the range. AR15 223 cal and AR10 308 cal. The Cost and finding ammo is impossible to work with and I would say it will be this way for a long time to come. It also sounds like reloading materials are impossible to find.

QUESTION...... Would it be a waste for me to start reloading ?

Also want do you think the cost of making a 223 cal round and 308 cal round would be ? maybe hp hunting bullet nothing to high priced ? I have the brass already.

I think I would have to make 1000 rounds to at least pay / break even just paying for the press and machines it will take to start reloading right ? thanks. Marty

Last edited:
The run on ammo and supplies will be over ther minute they ( the hoarders) realize the sky hasn't fallen yet and the wife starts screaming at them about the credit card balances.
I'd guess by fall we'll be back to the same semi-normal (elevated price with availability state) we were before you know who conned everyone onto putting up with him another 4 years. I don't think we'll see the light fully until the conservatives get a grip and find an electible candidate.
The shelves are already filling at most of the places I use for stuff. You just won't get a deal on a **** thing until the other party gets in the white house and demand slacks. Until then get a load together and then buy bulk when you need it.
You don't need ten years supply but you need enough for an idiot storm (like we've seen for the last few months) to blow over.

It is worth it for sure, I have been able to find everything I was short on and I have not paid any inflated prices. I'm not a hoarder but I due keep ample stocks of everything I need.

Sounds like you want to do bulk, I am only going to say this one time buy a dillion and don't look back! I let guys use mine all the time, it keeps you in the game along with your buddies.

Brass is one of the more expensive components of reloading. A big part of the savings associated with reloading has to do with the fact that you can reuse the brass. You already have brass. That should boost your savings quite a bit from someone starting totally from scratch.

what o you think the cost of reloading a 308 and 223 shell would be t todays prices. if I have the brass. rough idea ? thanks. marty

I don't know about the 308 but for the 06 with brand new Lapua brass the first loading is around $2.18 each using Bergers.

The breakdown. Price includes shipping.

Lapua brass........$1.37
Berger 190gr.......$0.53
54gr Re17...........$0.25
Fed Primer..........$0.035

It gets way better the farther you stretch the brass.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but i think the days of going to the range with a black rifle and going bang, bang for an hour are over. Unless of course you have a lot of money. And I don't think reloading is going to lessen the sting. Hand-loading to me has never been a cost saver, for me it produces top quality accurate ammo. And not a heck of a lot of it I may add, certainly not enough to feed black rifle fever. I have never been a fan of those rifles, too hard to clean. I would suggest you get yourself a good bolt 308 then start learning about hand-loading an accurate cartridge. And then you can start putting the targets out a few hundred yards.

When reloading I don't even include the brass as an expense, b/c I had been saving my brass for years and years before I ever started reloading. So most of it was "free" brass that came from my factory loads I've shot. I've also picked up a ton of brass in all different calibers at the ranges over the last 6 months. Granted, most of it is useless to me, other than the .223/5.56 brass, but occasionally I find some Fed .308, or Fed or Win Nickle 7mm RemMag. I never find STW brass or .257 Wby brass, so when I start getting low, I go shoot a box of factory ammo to fire-form it.

However, STW and .257 Wby ammo is about $4.50 a round if you find it in the store around here....Minus brass, it costs me right at $0.85 per round to reload for it. You do the math, but to me it is the best thing I've ever done for my shooting and trigger time. I can get almost 5 shots for the commercial price of 1.

Prices have not gone up, except for the folks who choose to forever mark them selves as scumbags! Lots of places have not changed their pricing and you only need wait for said product to arrive and buy it.

Prices will recover and the days of going to the range with your ar are long from over. I had ample stocks so figure around 123$ per 1k of 5.56. Don't over pay, it only fuels the problem!

It is never to late to do anything in your life. It might not always work out for you, but its never to late to try. You dont want to be that guy that says, "shoulda, coulda, woulda." Give it a go and if you feel that it doesnt pay off then at least you have gained that knowledge and the knowledge of reloading.

Oh... I forgot to mention that once you start... you wont stop. You will start reloading one caliber then two, before you know you'll have a reloading die set for 7 or 8 different calibers... or maybe thats just what happend to me:D

Oh... I forgot to mention that once you start... you wont stop. You will start reloading one caliber then two, before you know you'll have a reloading die set for 7 or 8 different calibers... or maybe thats just what happend to me:D

Aramarine6,

No need to of speak of "the illness" in the forum. It can scare new members. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.