Iron Sights Accuracy at 300 Yards

justgoto

I seem to have stumbled upon an oddity and thought I would share.

I had trouble hitting my 6 inch target at 300 yards using iron sights. Some of the problem was my sight blade would cover the whole target and another was an optical curiosity. When I would get my sight blade close, it would actually pull the image to the blade and give me a false reading.

So I thought I would make a larger cardboard target, then attach a steel target painted the same color as the cardboard that is my actual target. This way I know where the steel is, I just can't see it at that distance, therefore I will not get that false reading.

When I first tried it I was using my 30-06 and figured it was army issue so the sights were to shoot at people, I made a silhouette of myself. It worked wonderfully, I hit 3 out of 4 shots on a 3.25 x 5 inch steel target. (the last shot was using my 30-30.)

So I thought about it a little more and figured it was the shoulders that gave me my vertical position, and the head that was giving me my horizontal position. I decided to make a cross to use as my reference points then put the target in the center. Here is a video of the shot I took with my Eddystone 30-06.

YouTube - Cross Aids Accuracy

How accurate should my rifle be at 300 yards with iron sights?
Because as of 5 shots, I have hit those targets 4 out of 5 at 300 yards. (The first shot when I missed was my first shot with my new 168gr A-Max bullets, so I didn't know how they would hit and aimed a little high.)

Then I have another question...

Before, I was always shooting 3 or more shots with the Eddystone U.S. Model of 1917 30-06 and would clean it every time until the barrel looked like a mirror. Well, since I have been shooting those cold bore shots at those targets, (one shot then clean the barrel for the next day,) my barrel has a lot of pits in it. I am talking hundreds! I cannot get it to look like a mirror whatever I do.

I think it had copper filling those pits before and I have just actually gotten the barrel clean from 90 years of previous owners corrosion, then copper fouling. Because the last time I cleaned it, (day before that video,) it just wouldn't get clean, and the more I cleaned it the dirtier it looked. I finally got it clean and noticed some of that dirtiness were actually pits.

It doesn't seem to have an effect on accuracy but I still would like to hear some feedback on that situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.