Iron or open sights

Aldon

OK, So I know that most of the long range shooting will occur with optics.

But I am staring to plan another project so I would appreciate input.

I have to finish two current projects so I have some time to decide what I really want but I am looking for that all around type of mountain gun.

I am thinking 7 or 300wsm, .308, 30-06 or something along that line, short barreled, maybe 20 inches....Not sure of contour but medium weighted...

I am leaning towards B&C lightweight aluminum bedded stocks/

This is going to be my roughing it gun and I want iron sights as a back up to the scope.

So finally where I need some advice, who makes aftermarket iron sites that will allow decent range shot. I am thinking deer sized game at 200-250 yards with open sights should be doable with the right set up.

I do not like peep sites especially for this range....

ideally I would like low light capability.

Does such an animal exist:)

If you have put something together similar, give us the particulars, I am not decided on much of the above. Thanks

I have been doing some looking around and thinking that the Williams sights may be just the ticket. Good for low light, some adjustment for the rear....Just need to figure out how to protect the front sight.....Williams may sell something. Got to searc there web page if they have one. This set is on midway and is for a black powder rifle. I am thinking it will work well and get me the necessary 200 yard range for centerfire. Reasonable in low light according to the one customer feedback.

Williams Fire Sight Set CVA Optima and Optima Pro Fiber Optic Green

Williams Fire Sight Set CVA Optima and Optima Pro Fiber Optic Green - MidwayUSA

717445.jpg

I prefer good ol' fashioned buckhorn sights, and heres why;
''low light'' or fiber optic sights tend to show up well in low light as thier name implies, but at extended range they tend to ''blur'' your target or in some cases even ''cover'' it with an ilumination blur if you will. I had sights very similar to the above pic, and hunted extensively with them in Idaho. IMO they do show up well in all light, but hinder accuracy in low light at the longer ranges.
What I personaly have found best for low light situations with open sights, is to simply have a rear ''buckhorn'' with a white diamond centered just below the ''V'' notch. Then with the front sight I take some model paint and put a VERY SMALL dab of light neon''glow'' paint on the top/back of the front site. It tends to work best when the paint starts to ''dull'' a bit so as not to ''iluminate'' your target. Then for ''hold over'' referance pionts I use a piece of tape as a strait edge and adjust the tape up or down to be ''on'' at 350yds. leaving the tape on, I paint(with white paint) the rest of the front sight from the bottom up to the tape. then peel when dry.
Of course most of this painting can be avoided by sighting most modern calibers in at 300 yds and ''doping'' your P.O.I. at 50-250 then 350yds in 50 yd intervals. Good luck with your project and post your results so I can pick up some tips for my next attempt at extended ranges with Iron sights in any light hunting conditions.

Thanks for the input. It may be about 5 or 6 months before I get to this project but I want a low maintenance, easy t0o carry versatile long gun in the safe in case TEOTWAWKI hits. Of course I could choose a really flat shooting cartridge and not have to worry too much but I am leaning towards the 308 or 30-06.....should be lots of ammo to scrounge if this was ever to happen:)

308 is NATO; and IMO,30-06 should be and the 1911 should still be in service too! Oh well, i dont make the rules. Hopefully ''?teotwaki?'' ??? never happens in our lifetime or our kids, but Ill be prepared with ya if it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.