IOR Valdada 2.5 - 10X Scope, 30mm, 42mm

Varmint Hunter

I just picked up a used IOR Valdada 2.5 - 10X Scope, 30mm, 42mm Objective with the MP 8 reticle. I'm going to put this on a custom .308 used for medium range (softskin) biggame and targets. I've got loads of Leupolds and a 1 Nightforce but wanted to try something different.

Any opinions on this scope?

Varmint Hunter,

You picked a great scope with incredible optics. I've owned that exact scope a few years back. My only issue with the scope was the reticle being in the front focal plane. At 2.5 up to 4 power the reticle was too small for my eyes to use. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

The light transmission is also incredible and it's a very rugged scope.

Best of luck and enjoy!

I also like mine very much. Mine is the SFP non-illuminated version:

PICT0081.JPG

Wonderful glass, absolutely positive/repeatable/like breaking glass clicks. About the only negative I can think of is its eye relief is fairly short. I have no problems with it on my light 300 RUM above but some might.

Also be sure to measure its clicks. Mine, which are marked 1/2 MOA, measure 0.45" @ 100 yds...or 1/8 Mil. No problem, as long as you know.

While I prefere more power and a parallax adjustment for really long stuff, this is probably the best "general hunting scope" I've got that still has the ability to reach way out there very well. I feel it's a pretty amazing scope for the price.

Hmmm - All sounds good except the reticle problem below 4x. I actually intended to use this scope on 2.5x when hunting in the woods occasionally. Hope it works out. It appears that the clicks are in moa's and the reticle is calibrated in mils. That aught to confuse me for awhile. :>)

Jon A - Nice looking set-up. I've got a heavy tactical base and ring set for the new receiver but am always tempted to install Burris Signature rings. I'd hate to put ring marks on this scope in case I decide not to hang on to it.

Last edited:
Hmmm - All sounds good except the reticle problem below 4x. I actually intended to use this scope on 2.5x when hunting in the woods occasionally. Hope it works out. It appears that the clicks are in moa's and the reticle is calibrated in mils. That aught to confuse me for awhile. :>)
THERE IS A First Focal Plane model with the clicks in MILS! - It's what I have!

Also has a lit reticle (red) which makes the reticle more usable at low mag esp in the woods. - Ask SWFA or Scott Berish at Liberty Optics (you can find him on Snipershide)

Yeah, the reticle disappearing on low power should be offset by being lit I would think (if using lit reticles is legal where you hunt). The comments make me glad we had the thick posts put on the FFP 3-18 though. I can tell you that reticle is better than the SFP reticle in the above scope in low light and on low power. Not just because of the thicknesses, but because it stays black better under adverse lighting conditions.

As much as I like the above scope, I am contemplating swapping it for a FFP illuminated version one of these days. I'm just liking the FFP/.1 Mil click combo too much to want to pass one up that's available at that price...with that glass!

Yeah, the reticle disappearing on low power should be offset by being lit I would think (if using lit reticles is legal where you hunt). QUOTE]

I've owned this exact scope with the illuminated reticle. It's a waist of $100.00 and I sent it back for the non-illuminated version.

The light transmission on this scope is so good that by the time you can't make out your target/animal/critter due to low light you also won't be able to make out your cross hairs. Illuminating the cross hairs wouldn't help. Believe I know and I've tried. The real fact about the illuminated cross hair on this IOR scope is it's a waist of money. When you're in that lowest of light condition and turn the illumination on, even on the lowest setting you get light blow back in your eyes. Even if you could make out your target, the light blow back cancels it out.

It looks really cool in the pitch black but is a waist of $100.00. If you're legally spot lighting you still don't need an illuminated reticle because your spot light will provide plenty of light to see your reticle.

It's a great scope, but it's really a worthless feature.

Agree this scope should have the reticle in the second focal plane. It's only a 10X so having the reticle in the first focal plane is really not needed.

I think this scope may be more complicated than I realized and may be less appropiate for the application intended.

I paid $500 for the scope. It is in mint condition, in the original box, and has the original IOR scope covers. There are no ring marks but slight shadows can be seen if you look close.

I'll sell it for what I paid if anyone is interested.

Charlie

[email protected]

Charlie,

Before you sell take it out in the woods even if you don't mount it and give it a good look through. For $500.00 you'll have no problem selling the scope, but you'll never find optics and all the other pluses that scope offers for that price.

Don't cave in before you've even tried it. You'll probably be glad you didn't sell.

Best of luck!

Interesting, Jeff. It sounds like it would be better off with just a beefier reticle and no illumination. If they stuck the new reticle in the FFP and left off the illumination, I'd buy two of them tomorrow!

Otherwise IOR needs to come up with a system where just the center dot illuminates. That'd be cool. ;)

They have the 4a dot reticle that only the dot lights up(if I'm not mistaken), but it's on the hunting version from what I can find.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.