Interesting scope observation

tawood

Hi all,
I recently got a Tac 15 and I've been having fun playing around with it. I got the regular tac 15, not 15i, because I have several ar15's around, so for me this made more sense. Along with the tac 15 I also got the PSE scope, which is the Accu-shot 3-12x mil-dot.
This may be a "duh" moment for some, but after sighting in the scope at 40 yards at 3x, and then finding that each mil-dot above was minus 10 yards each, and each mil-dot below was plus 10 yards each (out to about 60 yards), I then made another "discovery".
If I wanted to be even more precise, I turned the scope up to 6x, and now each mil dot was in 5 yard increments instead of the 10 yard increments at 3x. Turn the scope up to 12x and now each dot was 2.5 yards each instead 10 or 5....
Of course my 40 yard cross hair stayed at 40 yards no matter what the power setting.

Like I said, this may be a, "duh, of course turning up the magnification does that" moment to some, but I thought it was cool and never saw anyone else mention it before. I like it because the main deer run to my planted field is 40 yards from my blind, give or take a couple of yards...I can really "presight" that range now!
Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.