Interesting find?

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by Trikstr, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Trikstr

Trikstr Well-Known Member

Just got home from a spot and stalk hunt near Island Park, Idaho.
    While out hiking I found a spot 2 ft wide by 3 ft long where a bear had crapped 14 times in a relatively short period. There also appeared to be a bed right next to said toilet. Is this common?
    I found a spot where I could watch and sat for half the day.
    Only saw 2 bears. One grizzly and one undetermined. Also saw a wolf.

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Well-Known Member

Wow... very odd.

3. jesterg

jesterg Well-Known Member

I'm down in southern Oregon. I have seen similar piles but didn't spend as much time counting them.. I would like to know why bears do this. It seems like they have a good reason to do it. I have wondered if its a male thing? To mark territory..

4. hardtack

hardtack Member

most likely a food source near by and a comfortable spot to rest; sort of like the couch and fridge for us, if you will, eh?:D

5. wstanton

wstanton Well-Known Member

That's a great question, I saw something similar this year while I was turkey hunting, and couldn't think of a solution. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

6. Trikstr

Trikstr Well-Known Member

Talked to biologist this spring and he said that there was probably a winter kill(food supply) near by.

7. hhack

hhack Well-Known Member

probably food near by, why didn't you shoot the wolf! Them ID boys give some big points for shooting those mangy ********. Hope you have some success in the near future.