interested in rechambering a .308win, any interesting wildcats?

The purpose of this rifle is to shoot paper out to 1000yards and be able to put down a deer or hog out to 800yards. I know shot placement and bullet selection are the key factors but I believe a little more umph on target would be practical.

The purpose of this rifle is to shoot paper out to 1000yards and be able to put down a deer or hog out to 800yards. I know shot placement and bullet selection are the key factors but I believe a little more umph on target would be practical.

Get a 260 or 260ai. Its not gonna have the harsh recoil you want (why the heck would you want recoil anyways) but its gonna do everything else you want.

If you can get a Berger 140vld 6.5mm bullet going 2800 at the muzzle you still have 979 ft/lb of energy and 1775fps at 800 yards. At 1000 yards your only dropping 277.98 inches from a 100 yard zero and still doing 1555 fps with 751 ft/lbs of energy. And your not dropping below the speed of sound till a little past 1450 yards... Not to mention it will still feed out of the box mag so your not going to be single loading or having problems extracting a loaded round either....

Keep the bolt face an action the way it is now and throw a new barrel on it chambered in 260 or 260ai....

Oliver:
Stick with the 308. It's not worth rechambering a factory barrel. The 308 is sufficient to take deer and hogs at 800.

If you want something with more power, consider buying a new rifle or rebarreling.

I am thinking about keeping my boltface as it is, so what about a .284 Winchester imp. According to my ballistics calculator, a 180grain Berger at 3050fps will stay supersonic out to a mile. But in worried about throat errorsion. I want to get a few thousand rounds out of my barrel (I shoot once or twice a week). I will be using the rifle for hunting and shooting out to 1000yards (for now)

two questions:
will this fit on my .308 boltface?
And how many rounds can I expect out of a match quality barrel?

I am thinking about keeping my boltface as it is, so what about a .284 Winchester imp. According to my ballistics calculator, a 180grain Berger at 3050fps will stay supersonic out to a mile. But in worried about throat errorsion. I want to get a few thousand rounds out of my barrel (I shoot once or twice a week). I will be using the rifle for hunting and shooting out to 1000yards (for now)

two questions:

Yes, the 284 Win. has a rebated rim that is a .308 boltface.

About 2000 +- rounds from a 284 improved, possibly more depending on how you use it. But you are not going to get 3050 fps. unless you use a 30" barrel and RL17.

Something else to consider is that you are not going to be able to extract a loaded round or feed from your magazine on a short action using the 180 VLD's. You need a long action to shoot 180's out of a 284 or else too much powder capacity will be compromised by seating the bullet deep enough to feed from the magazine.

-X3M

OliverAlan, just keep your 308 just like it is. Someday you will appreciate the great little cartridge it is. Spend the modification money on another rifle like a 300 Win mag or 300 Weatherby, 300 rum. For the long range your espousing to you should look into a 338 Rum or a 338 /edge. It will reach out to where you want to shoot with authority. By the time you learn to shoot that far (1000yds) like your talking you will think nothing of the recoil. I really think your fool hearty wanting to shoot deer at 800 yds. That's not hunting, that cripples more game than it ever takes. You will need years of practice to get proficient at that yardage.

Learn more about what that little 308 is really capable of, it would really surprise you. The military snipers don't use the 308 because it don't kick enough they use it because it kicks ***.

two questions:

Now you've moved from rechamber to rebarrel....that opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

Thanks for the kind words olcrip, I'm actually just rather new to the sport and looking for advice cartridge wise, something to improve my rifle without changing everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.