inside neck reaming, or not?

ds

I am having a chnge of religion from 6.5x55 to .260 Rem. I have necked up some Lapua .243 cases using a Sinclair expnder mandrel, first to .25cal then to .26cal. Then I put the cases through a Redding body die to set the headspace and lastly I passed them over the .26 cal mandrel again. This left a nice fat donut on the outside, not a problem to turn it off as I must neck turn for the .290 neck anyway. However when I put the case on the neck turning mandrel (Sinclair) I can feel some (not much) more resistance at the base of the neck. Is this going to be a problem? or will outside neck turning the donut away solve the problem if it is just neck tension that will go after the first firing or should I inside neck turn?

What I don`t like about the idea is firstly can I do more harm than good if the inside neck turner is not a perfect match with the inside of the case neck,not sure if my RCBS case trimmer is up to the job. Also when should I do the inside neck turning, Forster say for most cases after first firing unless you have a special reamer made up. Also if I do it what is the best reamer to fit my RCBS case trimmer? or should I just use the RCBS inside neck turning pilot to do the job.

Thanks in advance,

David.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.