Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Optics

gehrm

Hi, I am new to these forums, so mods please move this to another section if this is not the appropriate place to post this.

I do not shoot enough any more to justify having a battery of rifles around the house, so will have to be condensing to just one rifle. The upside is that since I will only have one rifle, I can justify spending a lot more on it than I normally would.

I am planning on using this rifle to hunt all North American game animals. Primarily boar/pig, deer, sheep, elk, moose. However, I would like the flexibility to pick off coyotes and other animals if I have the opportunity. Essentially it needs to be light enough to tote around the mountains all day, but solid enough for long shots on elk and versatile enough with loads/bullet weights to hunt varmints to moose.

I have a budget of $10k +/- $2k for both the rifle and the scope and I wanted to get your input on what setup you would put together (e.g., action, barrel, caliber, stock, scope, gunsmith, custom touches, etc.). I know most of you have a lot more trigger time than I do, so all input is welcome.

Here's what I am currently thinking:

Action: Borden Rimrock (would appreciate thoughts on this vs. Nesika vs. Stiller Predator and others)

Trigger: Jewell set to 2.5 lbs.

Barrel: 24" Lilja in .30-06, number 3 contour

Stock: Gary Goudy (not sure on wood, so suggestions here would be great) with blind magazine

Gunsmith: Not sure if Borden Rifles would put everything together for me. If not, who would you suggest?

Custom Touches: Three-position safety

Scope: Zeiss Victory Varipoint 2.5-10 X 42

Thanks for your help with this!

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

You might look to guys that build a complete long range system like Gunwerks (Best of the West tv program) in Wyoming. They have the gun, scope case etc and a good system worked out with each rifle tested etc. They have a 7mm mag that may work for you. If not, any one of the gunsmiths on this forum with a good rep should be able to help you.

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

Depending on what you mean by "long shots" I would consider kicking up to one of the .30 magnums. The .30-06 is a fantastic cartridge and probably one of the most versatile out there, but if you're looking at taking elk at anywhere over 400 yards on a consistent basis the extra juice you could get out of the .300 win. mag or even one of the .300 short mags would definitely be recommended. (That is assuming that you're stuck on the .30 cals. If you're flexible and want to reach out and touch things, it might be worth taking a look at one of the 7mms that's out there.)

A .30 magnum would be overkill for varmints and 'yotes but if you're looking for an all around gun it'll work and be good practice.

Getting a longer barrel (24"-26") in a sporter type contour with a good muzzle break would give you a rifle that wouldn't be terrible to pack, optimize the ballistics of a given caliber and could also be shot all day.

Also, if you are looking at shooting over 400 yards some other things to budget for (if you don't have them already)
-Spotting Scope
-Range Finder
-PDA for ballistics program
-Angle Cosine Indicator
-Anti-Cant indicator
-Wind meter/weather station
-Chronograph

Just my .02 on the issue. Hope it helps ya out and welcome to the forum!

-PJS

any one of the gunsmiths on this forum .

Definatly! Any one of these guys can aid you in deciding and turn out an impressive gun for you.

Only one rifle? Saying and thinking that is nearly blasphemous!

But if I had to have a single rifle for everything, I'd go with the 300WSM. I'd choose the .30 cal round because anything smaller would have a shorter barrel life. Also, heavier bullets in the .30 would work well on shorter range type hunting (bears etc.).

The 300WSM is an incredibly accurate and efficient round.

I would never have a brake on my only rifle, because that would force you to always hunt with hearing protection. The 300WSM is at the limit that most feel comfortable with for extended un-braked shooting.

I'd have it built to end up around 10 pounds with scope.

As far as scope, on the lightweight end, I'd use a Leupold 4.5x14x40 with Duplex reticle or Nightforce 2.5x10x32 with NP-R2 reticle, on the heavier end I'd select a Nightforce 3.5x15x50 with a NP-R1 reticle.

I wouldn't be happy with a single rifle, but I wouldn't feel undergunned on deer/sheep size game out to 800-1000yds and I wouldn't feel undergunned (very much) if I had to shoot a Brown bear at 100yds either. If I had to shoot a Brown bear at 20yds, I'd feel undergunned though :D

AJ

Definatly! Any one of these guys can aid you in deciding and turn out an impressive gun for you.

Absolutely, I'd have one of the smiths on this site build it for me.

AJ

10K=$10,000?

The rifles I have had built were half that with NF optics.

Brent

i really like 30-06. shilen trigger and kreiger barels.

With a budget of 10,000 +/- 2,000 you could have 3 custom rifles built and 1 good Nightforce scope to interchange between them.
Build yourself a flat shooting small game rifle for coyotes/deer and such. Something in a 6.5 or 7mm.
Then build yourself a big caliber for elk and moose in a carry rig, in a 338 cal.
There are way to many options to list for a budget like that.

$10,000 would build two custom action rifles both with nightforce scopes.

I would do a 30 magnum, and a 6.5 for lighter game.

You might look to guys that build a complete long range system like Gunwerks (Best of the West tv program) in Wyoming. They have the gun, scope case etc and a good system worked out with each rifle tested etc. They have a 7mm mag that may work for you. If not, any one of the gunsmiths on this forum with a good rep should be able to help you.
Could you not buy a custom rifle for about half of what theirs cost?

Could you not buy a custom rifle for about half of what theirs cost?

Maybe, probably?? That is a good question. The hard part is to put a real value on the knowledge, homework etc that their system uses. I know Aaron has very scientifically tested his whole system. They are currently setting up a system to truly determine the bullet bc at all ranges with the Oehler ballistic computer and downrange sensors. He saves no expense to truly know the answers. He builds lots of guns to his spec and has lots of data to know what is going on. He is an engineer and applies those principles to his system. I have nothing but respect for him and his methods. How much is all that worth? I am sure other guys can do the same thing, but I know they have. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

I bet they are a great gun, the load is developed and ready to go. I bet the action on it is your favorite part.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.